We have several CENTOS 4 and 5 servers. ALL CENTOS servers have NTP setup to sync time server. Several days ago due to power outage all servers are reboot. Due to DNS server did NOT up quickly, CENTOS servers start up and can NOT find time server.

For CENTOS 5.X servers, it did quickly resync to time server after 30 minutes.

For CENTOS 4.X servers, it have been 3 days still NOT sync to time server. I know I can run "service ntpd restart" to force server sync to time server, but I like to know how long it take for CENTOS 4.X automatic resync to time server.

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Roth at Apr 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm

    We have several CENTOS 4 and 5 servers. ALL CENTOS servers have NTP setup
    to sync time server. Several days ago due to power outage all servers are
    reboot. Due to DNS server did NOT up quickly, CENTOS servers start up and
    can NOT find time server.

    For CENTOS 5.X servers, it did quickly resync to time server after 30
    minutes.

    For CENTOS 4.X servers, it have been 3 days still NOT sync to time server.
    I know I can run "service ntpd restart" to force server sync to time
    server, but I like to know how long it take for CENTOS 4.X automatic
    resync to time server.
    man ntpd:
    excerpt:
    Most operating systems and hardware of today incorporate a time-of-year
    (TOY) chip to maintain the time during periods when the power is
    off. When the machine is booted, the chip is used to initialize the
    operating system time. After the machine has synchronized to a NTP
    server, the operating system corrects the chip from time to time. In case
    there is no TOY chip or for some reason its time is more than 1000s
    from the server time, ntpd assumes something must be terribly wrong and
    the only reliable action is for the operator to intervene and set the
    clock by hand.
    --- end excerpt ---

    mark

groupcentos @