Been experimenting with CentOS 5.4 some more. In order to get my wireless
card to work (Broadcom BCM4311) I need Broadcom's wl.ko driver (http://
www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php). It compiles fine after
the necessary modification in typedef.h, loads and wireless works.
However, as soon as I put some load on that interface (scp something from
another machine, download something with Firefox, etc.) the machine
kernel panics. I've tried the stock 2.6.18 kernel, the latest
2.6.18-164-11, and the latest patched 2.6.18-164-11-bug4139.4192.4196
(necessary to get my ALPS touchpad to work). I've tried two different
versions of Broadcom's driver: 5.10.79.10 and 5.60.48.36. It doesn't
kernel panic when I unload the wl kernel module, plug in a network cable
and copy those files over ethernet.

I downloaded the 2.6.27 kernel source and compiled my own kernel and it
seems to work with that. However, for some weird reason, with any given
self-compiled kernel (tried 2.6.18-8, 2.6.25 and 2.6.27) klaptop won't
allow me to configure any standby/hibernation options because it doesn't
recognize any of them. They do work perfectly fine though, I can pm-
suspend the laptop from command-line.

Any idea what else I could do? Either getting wl.ko to work with 2.6.18
(does somebody have a version older than 5.10.79.10 that they could email
me?) or getting klaptop to realize that the laptop does indeed know how
th suspend and hibernate with a non-CentOS-kernel would be fine.

Thanks,
Martin

--
Rieke Computersysteme GmbH
Hellerholz 5
Email: martin at rhm.de

Search Discussions

  • Akemi Yagi at Mar 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm

    www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php). <snip>
    I downloaded the 2.6.27 kernel source and compiled my own kernel and it
    seems to work with that. However, for some weird reason, with any given
    self-compiled kernel (tried 2.6.18-8, 2.6.25 and 2.6.27) klaptop won't
    allow me to configure any standby/hibernation options because it doesn't
    recognize any of them. They do work perfectly fine though, I can pm-
    suspend the laptop from command-line.

    Any idea what else I could do? Either getting wl.ko to work with 2.6.18
    (does somebody have a version older than 5.10.79.10 that they could email
    me?) or getting klaptop to realize that the laptop does indeed know how
    th suspend and hibernate with a non-CentOS-kernel would be fine.
    There is a "CentOS" kernel 2.6.24. If you wish to give it a try, you
    can download from my site at:

    http://centos.toracat.org/kernel/centos5/realtime/

    It is a direct rebuild of the Red Hat MRG realtime kernel[1]. Please
    note that I offer them for testing purposes, not for production use.

    Akemi

    [1] http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_MRG/1.2/html/Realtime_Installation_Guide/chap-Realtime_Installation_Guide-Download.html#sect-Realtime_Installation_Guide-Download-RT_Kernel_Variants
  • Martin Jungowski at Mar 11, 2010 at 10:44 am