# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR�:22:19:XX:XX:XX
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAMEÎntos.XXXXXXXXXX.local

In this particular instance, it's a place where Windows is used for DHCP
and DNS servers. :( I have no control over the Windows side of things.

The Windows sysadmins claim I don't need a fixed IP address, because DNS
will pick up the name after I make the DHCP request. The problem is,
that doesn't happen, even though the DHCP client is correctly configured
(see above). The system is vanilla CentOS 5.4, text-mode install, fully
updated.

I boot the CentOS system. Then, on another Linux machine, I do "host
centos.XXXXXXX.local" and it returns host not found. However, if I do
the same for other hostnames, DNS resolution works fine.

Is there anything else I can do on my side to make it happen? Any
particular options in dhclient.conf or something like that?

Search Discussions

  • Nate Amsden at Mar 2, 2010 at 6:34 pm

    Florin Andrei wrote:

    Is there anything else I can do on my side to make it happen? Any
    particular options in dhclient.conf or something like that?
    See the man page ?

    DYNAMIC DNS
    The client now has some very limited support for doing DNS
    updates when a lease is acquired. This is prototypical, and
    probably doesn't do what you want. It also only works if you
    happen to have control over your DNS server, which isn't very
    likely.

    To make it work, you have to declare a key and zone as in
    the DHCP server (see dhcpd.conf(5) for details). You also need
    to configure the fqdn option on the client, as follows:

    send fqdn.fqdn "grosse.fugue.com.";
    send fqdn.encoded on;
    send fqdn.server-update off;

    The fqdn.fqdn option MUST be a fully-qualified domain name.
    You MUST define a zone statement for the zone to be updated.
    The fqdn.encoded option may need to be set to on or off,
    depending on the DHCP server you are using.

    --

    On my company's windows network the IT guy just assigns static
    IPs via MAC addresses to those that want a fixed IP and create

    Myself I've never liked dynamic DNS, never used it, I like my
    zone files organized(and plain text, no binary crap) and I
    suspect dynamic DNS would screw it all up. I've seen how
    horribly polluted zones can get on windows networks with
    dynamic DNS, overlapping names, multiple DNS entries for the
    same IP etc.

    nate
  • Tony Mountifield at Mar 3, 2010 at 9:53 am
    In article <4298.65.102.144.193.1267554884.squirrel at webmail.linuxpowered.net>,