I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
architecture, and then again for x86_64.

Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
wouldn't know what)?

Niki

Search Discussions

  • Akemi Yagi at Feb 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

    I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
    work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
    most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
    architecture, and then again for x86_64.

    Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
    wouldn't know what)?
    There is a FAQ about it:

    http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-357346ff0bf7c14b0849c3bcce39677aaca528e9

    Akemi
  • Niki Kovacs at Feb 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

    Thanks. That did the trick.

    Niki
  • Marcelo M. Garcia at Feb 18, 2010 at 3:15 pm

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    Hi,

    I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
    work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
    most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
    architecture, and then again for x86_64.

    Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
    wouldn't know what)?

    Niki
    Hi

    I think this is OK. Some programs (32bit ones) expects to find 32bit
    libraries, so just to be on the safe side (and a little bit lazy),and if
    I have the options, I install for both architectures.

    Regards

    mg.
  • Bowie Bailey at Feb 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm

    Niki Kovacs wrote:
    Hi,

    I just installed CentOS 5.4 on a 64bit-server. It's the first time I
    work with this sort of hardware. Doing rpm -qa | sort | less shows that
    most of the packages seem to be installed twice: once for i386
    architecture, and then again for x86_64.

    Is this normal? Or did I mess up something during install (thought I
    wouldn't know what)?
    This is normal and almost everyone (including me) asks about it when
    they install their first 64-bit system. :)

    The 32-bit packages are installed for backward-compatibility with any
    32-bit programs you may want to run.

    --
    Bowie
  • Mathieu Baudier at Feb 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm

    The 32-bit packages are installed for backward-compatibility with any
    32-bit programs you may want to run.
    Regarding security, is it less safe to have these *.i386 packages
    installed? (esp. on a server)
    (according to the principle that "less is always more secure")
  • Marcelo M. Garcia at Feb 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm

    Mathieu Baudier wrote:
    The 32-bit packages are installed for backward-compatibility with any
    32-bit programs you may want to run.
    Regarding security, is it less safe to have these *.i386 packages
    installed? (esp. on a server)
    (according to the principle that "less is always more secure")
    Hi

    I'm not sure if it's that simple. Although this seems to be a good
    general principle, it will depend how expose it's the system, or if you
    (or the sysadmin) do the updates, etc.

    Regards

    mg.

groupcentos @