Hello,

I've just finished installing Atlassian's bamboo
it comes with two ways to start it up one through a bash shell script bamboo.sh
and another through java script (this one is better as it has the ability to start up the service if it got shutdown for any reason)

so I'm wondering how can I set this service to start on boot..
I know how to set a script on login in my profile though not on boot..

any suggestion?
I've looked around about none interactive shells and so on.. so if I did a symbolic link from bamboo.sh script to /etc/init.d would that work?
what about variables inside the script would they b read ?

obviously a newbie here so appreciate any detailed explanation if possible about interactive/ none interactive shells and of course if theres an advice about how to solve this issue..

PS: trying to educate myself about linux along the way so any explanation would be greatly appreciated...

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Joseph L. Casale at Dec 7, 2009 at 8:02 pm

    any suggestion?
    I've looked around about none interactive shells and so on.. so if I did a symbolic link from bamboo.sh script to /etc/init.d would that work?
    what about variables inside the script would they b read ?
    Well, you can add an entry for that shell script to rc.local (unsexy).

    Open a copy of an existing init script, and start hacking (sexy).

    Wait till rhel moves away from that archaic sys v like stuff into a more intelligent
    system like smf (super lusty) but that might be a while:)

    jlc
  • James Hogarth at Dec 7, 2009 at 8:02 pm
    Depending on the script placing it in /etc/init.d could work (with
    appropriate symlinks to /etc/rc.x) however does the script follwo standard
    behaviour for /etc/init.d scripts? (eg start, stop, restart, status.....)

    If you just want the script/java file called you could just pop it into
    /etc/rc.local to run at the end of the start up sequence (you might need to
    & to background it) ... with the reminder that it will only run at startup
    then. To run it at other times you would need nohup <scriptname> &

    that would prevent it ending when you log out or you close a terminal window
    (thus exiting the parent shell).

    I've just finished installing Atlassian's bamboo
    <http://www.atlassian.com/software/bamboo/>
[...]

  • John R Pierce at Dec 7, 2009 at 8:10 pm

    Roland Roland wrote:
[...]

    you need to write a script for /etc/init.d that takes an argument
    "stop", "start", and optionally "restart" and/or "reload".

    this script can either call that bamboo.sh script or just contain a copy
    of it as the 'start' part (I'd go with the latter if its really simple)

    do remember, you have to set up any environment this process may needmay
    need. DO NOT ASSUME ANY LOGIN ENVIRONMENT.

    Take a look at /etc/init.d/smartd as an example init script, as this is
    a fairly simple one.

    your script should have a comment on top something like...

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # bamboo Starts the bamboo service
    #
    # chkconfig: 345 05 95
    # ....

    the important line there is chkconfig: whihc in this case says, by
    default you want this service run at run levels 3,4,5, and it is to be
    started at priority 05 and stopped at priority 95
    (lower means sooner ni the order of things)

    after putting that script in /etc/init.d, then...

    service bamboo {start|stop}

    will manuallly start/stop this service, and

    chkconfig bamboo on

    and that will configure it to run at startup per those chkconfig options.
  • Gary L. Greene, Jr. at Dec 7, 2009 at 8:22 pm

[...]

    Good documentation for this lives in the following directory:

    /usr/share/doc/initscripts-<VERSION>/sysconfig.txt

    The <VERSION> should be replaced with the version string of the initscripts
    rpm found by running 'rpm -q initscripts --format %{VERSION} && echo' at the
    terminal.

    --
    Gary L. Greene, Jr.
    IT Operations

    Roland Roland wrote:
[...]

    Others have covered the init script conventions, so I'll just suggest
    looking at Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/) as a free alternative that you
    can get RPM-packaged or just drop the war file under the stock Centos
    tomcat.

    --
    Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com