Hello,

I have a server running CentOS 4.7 and I want to add a new USB-HD for
backup some data. I made the file system as ext3 with the command:
/
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1/

After that I did add a new Volume Group and Logical Volume
(/VolGrup01-LogVol01) /on that file system and mounted it as /backup. It
worked fine but when I did reboot the server It wont mount /backup and I
got the following error even after the system boots and I try to mount
it manually:

/mount: special device /dev/VolGrup01/LogVol01 does not exist/

I will appreciate any comment or suggestion about the best way to get
through this.

Regards,

--Ivan.

Search Discussions

  • John R Pierce at Oct 29, 2009 at 5:06 am

    Ivan Arteaga wrote:
    Hello,

    I have a server running CentOS 4.7 and I want to add a new USB-HD for
    backup some data. I made the file system as ext3 with the command:
    /
    mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1/

    After that I did add a new Volume Group and Logical Volume
    (/VolGrup01-LogVol01) /on that file system and mounted it as /backup. It
    worked fine but when I did reboot the server It wont mount /backup and I
    got the following error even after the system boots and I try to mount
    it manually:

    /mount: special device /dev/VolGrup01/LogVol01 does not exist/

    I will appreciate any comment or suggestion about the best way to get
    through this.
    I would *NOT* use LVM on a removable external drive.

    if you did a mkfs /dev/sdb1, you should

    # mount /dev/sdb1 /backup

    and skip LVM entirely.
  • Ivan Arteaga at Oct 29, 2009 at 5:39 am

    John R Pierce wrote:
    Ivan Arteaga wrote:
[...]

    John,

    I did remove the LVM and mounted the file system i had in /dev/sdb1 as
    /backup, It works now...

    [root at server]# mount /dev/sdb1 /backup
    [root at mail ~]# df -kh
    /dev/sdb1 459G 105M 436G 1% /backup
    [root at server]#

    I cant restart the server now but I will have a maintenance window
    tomorrow so I will check after the reboot how it goes... I added it to
    /etc/fstab anyway:

    //dev/sdb1 /backup ext3 suid,dev,exec 0 0/

    Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

    --Ivan.
  • Ivan Arteaga at Oct 30, 2009 at 12:35 am

    Ivan Arteaga wrote:
    John R Pierce wrote:
    Ivan Arteaga wrote:

[...]

    It worked fine. Thanks again!

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedOct 29, '09 at 4:41a
activeOct 30, '09 at 12:35a
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Ivan Arteaga: 3 posts John R Pierce: 1 post