Hello:

I am looking at the RHEL 5.4 virtualization guide.
According to Chapter 17, if I want to use KVM on my
machine, I need to check if it has the constant Time Stamp
Counter by running this:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep constant_tsc

When I do that on the server (Currently running CentOS 5.3),
I do not get any output. According to the output, that
means my system does not have the counter.

It then gives me instructions for AMD revision F CPUs.
I did a search and did not find anything that seems relevant
to revision F. The only stuff I am finding is talking about
socket F. Is that the same things as a Socket F CPU or
something different?

Thanks,
Neil

Will your e-commerce site go offline if you have
a DB server failure, fiber cut, flood, fire, or other disaster?
If so, ask about our geographically redundant database system.

Search Discussions

  • Akemi Yagi at Oct 18, 2009 at 3:40 pm

    It then gives me instructions for AMD revision F CPUs.
    I did a search and did not find anything that seems relevant
    to revision F. ?The only stuff I am finding is talking about
    socket F. Is that the same things as a Socket F CPU or
    something different?
    For example,

    http://www.chiplist.com/AMD_Athlon_64_processor/tree3f-section--2103-/

    may help.

    Akemi
  • Neil Aggarwal at Oct 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm

    I have an Opteron. I don't see a similar listing for those.
    Do you?

    Thanks,
    Neil

    Will your e-commerce site go offline if you have
    a DB server failure, fiber cut, flood, fire, or other disaster?
    If so, ask about our geographically redundant database system.
  • Akemi Yagi at Oct 18, 2009 at 4:15 pm