Hi all,

Does anyone know of a Linux firewall that offers layer 8 firewall /
user level firewalling? Cyberoam
(http://www.cyberoam.com/firewall.html) has a layer 8 firewall built
into their UTM firewalls, and while it's a great product I find it a
bit limited for what I want.

I basically want to track which user access what on the internet, from
an internal network. Ideally I want to limit access to certain objects
(i.e. websites, by URL / keyword / type, FTP, skype, MSN, etc) for
certain users as well.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Search Discussions

  • Aurfalien at Oct 9, 2009 at 6:48 pm
    Thats a really good post and a good link.

    There's the i7 plugin to iptables (netfilter) that you may find useful
    but its not on the app layer thats above the app layer.

    For what its worth, when I was a Cisco admin, i used timed access
    lists to block certain users during work hours. Not at all
    sophisticated like that l8 stuff you asked about but mebbe useful?
    Does anyone know of a Linux firewall that offers layer 8 firewall /
    user level firewalling? Cyberoam
    (http://www.cyberoam.com/firewall.html) has a layer 8 firewall built
    into their UTM firewalls, and while it's a great product I find it a
    bit limited for what I want.

    I basically want to track which user access what on the internet, from
    an internal network. Ideally I want to limit access to certain objects
    (i.e. websites, by URL / keyword / type, FTP, skype, MSN, etc) for
    certain users as well.

    --
    Kind Regards
    Rudi Ahlers
    CEO, SoftDux Hosting
    Web: http://www.SoftDux.com
    Office: 087 805 9573
    Cell: 082 554 7532
  • John Doe at Oct 13, 2009 at 12:16 pm
    From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>
    Does anyone know of a Linux firewall that offers layer 8 firewall /
    user level firewalling? Cyberoam
    (http://www.cyberoam.com/firewall.html) has a layer 8 firewall built
    into their UTM firewalls, and while it's a great product I find it a
    bit limited for what I want.

    I basically want to track which user access what on the internet, from
    an internal network. Ideally I want to limit access to certain objects
    (i.e. websites, by URL / keyword / type, FTP, skype, MSN, etc) for
    certain users as well.
    Maybe use squid with authentication and acls...?
    And caching as a bonus...

    JD

groupcentos @
categoriescentos