FAQ
Is anyone else seeing this situation?

I subscribe to the announce digest, and for the last four or five
announcements that contained updates to CentOS 5, I've been unable to
get a successful run of yum update for as much as 24 hours after the
announcement. The last time around, I tried at about 5 hours after
the posting, and yum couldn't see anything. I ran yum clean all, and
yum update still couldn't see anything. In general, if I wait a day,
the updates load just fine, but that just feels wrong.

I do have the fastestmirror plugin installed (and priorities).

Thanks.

mhr

Search Discussions

  • Robert at Jun 19, 2009 at 6:42 pm

    MHR wrote:
    Is anyone else seeing this situation?

    I subscribe to the announce digest, and for the last four or five
    announcements that contained updates to CentOS 5, I've been unable to
    get a successful run of yum update for as much as 24 hours after the
    announcement. The last time around, I tried at about 5 hours after
    the posting, and yum couldn't see anything. I ran yum clean all, and
    yum update still couldn't see anything. In general, if I wait a day,
    the updates load just fine, but that just feels wrong.

    I do have the fastestmirror plugin installed (and priorities).

    Thanks.

    mhr
    Yes, I HAVE but no, I'm not. I really don't know what's different,
    either. The announcement is dated Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:00:02 -0400
    and at 13:25 -0500 (2.4 hours later) I see a new kernel, new kernel-devel,
    updated kernel-doc, updated kernel-headers and 6 updated user
    packages ready to go.

    I regard the delay as "normal", current behavior to be an anomaly

    .
  • Mark Hull-Richter at Jun 20, 2009 at 2:39 am

    On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Robert wrote:
    Yes, I HAVE but no, I'm not. I really don't know what's different,
    either. The announcement is dated Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:00:02 -0400
    and at 13:25 -0500 (2.4 hours later) I see a new kernel, new kernel-devel,
    updated kernel-doc, updated kernel-headers and 6 updated user
    packages ready to go.

    I regard the delay as "normal", current behavior to be an anomaly
    That's about right, but it's now 19:38:xx -0700 (PDT) and I'm still
    not seeing them update.

    Ok, I lied - I just did a yum clean all, and voila!

    Still, it's annoying.... (I did that earlier and it made no difference.)

    Thanks!

    mhr
  • Matthew Kent at Jun 19, 2009 at 7:10 pm

    On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 10:19 -0700, MHR wrote:
    Is anyone else seeing this situation?

    I subscribe to the announce digest, and for the last four or five
    announcements that contained updates to CentOS 5, I've been unable to
    get a successful run of yum update for as much as 24 hours after the
    announcement. The last time around, I tried at about 5 hours after
    the posting, and yum couldn't see anything. I ran yum clean all, and
    yum update still couldn't see anything. In general, if I wait a day,
    the updates load just fine, but that just feels wrong.
    Some don't update that quickly, see: http://mirror-status.centos.org/
    --
    Matthew Kent \ SA \ bravenet.com
  • Scott Silva at Jun 19, 2009 at 11:03 pm

    on 6-19-2009 10:19 AM MHR spake the following:
    Is anyone else seeing this situation?

    I subscribe to the announce digest, and for the last four or five
    announcements that contained updates to CentOS 5, I've been unable to
    get a successful run of yum update for as much as 24 hours after the
    announcement. The last time around, I tried at about 5 hours after
    the posting, and yum couldn't see anything. I ran yum clean all, and
    yum update still couldn't see anything. In general, if I wait a day,
    the updates load just fine, but that just feels wrong.

    I do have the fastestmirror plugin installed (and priorities).

    Thanks.

    mhr
    Yes, I see it too. The announcement says in it that the files are being
    released to the mirrors, not that they are available to download.

    <quote>
    The following updated files have been uploaded and are currently
    syncing to the mirrors:
    </quote>

    Some of the mirrors take a while to sync, or maybe don't check for updates as
    often as others do.

    -------------- next part --------------
    A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
    Name: signature.asc
    Type: application/pgp-signature
    Size: 258 bytes
    Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
    Url : http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/attachments/20090619/fa1d2ccd/attachment.bin
  • Mark Hull-Richter at Jun 20, 2009 at 2:40 am

    On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
    Yes, I see it too. The announcement says in it that the files are being
    released to the mirrors, not that they are available to download.

    <quote>
    The following updated files have been uploaded and are currently
    syncing to the mirrors:
    </quote>

    ?Some of the mirrors take a while to sync, or maybe don't check for updates as
    often as others do.
    That makes a lot of sense.

    Thanks!

    mhr

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJun 19, '09 at 5:19p
activeJun 20, '09 at 2:40a
posts6
users4
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase