I have a test system: Centos 5.2 on an OQO, that has been hanging
hard. I have to unplug it and pull the battery so I can then cold start it.

This last time all I did was open a terminal window and SU to root, then
start the lastest build of SIP Communicator (which uses JRE 1.6.0_10).
I was not even making a test phone call at the time. Oh, and the system
only runs IPv6, no v4 addressing.

So how do I find out what is causing the hard lockups?

Search Discussions

  • Kay Diederichs at Mar 7, 2009 at 5:02 pm

    Robert Moskowitz wrote:
    I have a test system: Centos 5.2 on an OQO, that has been hanging
    hard. I have to unplug it and pull the battery so I can then cold start it.

    This last time all I did was open a terminal window and SU to root, then
    start the lastest build of SIP Communicator (which uses JRE 1.6.0_10).
    I was not even making a test phone call at the time. Oh, and the system
    only runs IPv6, no v4 addressing.

    So how do I find out what is causing the hard lockups?
    if the problem is triggered reproducibly by building SIP C, then just
    don't use X when starting the build; change to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1)
    and watch out for kernel messages indicating a software (kernel) problem.

    If the problem is due to hardware, there is a chance that memtest86+
    will find bad memory. If it's a bad disk, you can check with smartctl.
    There's are burn-in programs available; I use burnCPU to put load on
    multi-core systems. Compiling the Linux kernel a hundred times in a row
    is also a good test; not a single build should fail.

    HTH,

    Kay
  • David G. Miller at Mar 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm