Is there anyway to load a network driver at installation time. Centos
5.2 x86_64.

Alternatively, is there a way to do a USB network driver at boot?

Either is fine... Presently I have a rtl 8168 that just hangs at DHCP
request.
I want to use all the kickstart information I have setup, but need the
network to work for that.

Any ideas?

Jerry

Search Discussions

  • Ian Forde at Feb 16, 2009 at 3:51 am

    Is there anyway to load a network driver at installation time. Centos
    5.2 x86_64.
    Yep - it's definitely in the kickstart docs - don't remember where
    though...
    Alternatively, is there a way to do a USB network driver at boot?
    See above... ;)
    Either is fine... Presently I have a rtl 8168 that just hangs at DHCP
    request.
    I want to use all the kickstart information I have setup, but need the
    network to work for that.
    From what I recall, there's an entry to the start of the kickstart
    something like "linux ks=whatever dd" or something like that... How to
    automate it into unattended kickstart? I haven't done that yet, so I'm
    not sure.

    -I
  • Akemi Yagi at Feb 16, 2009 at 3:55 am

    Is there anyway to load a network driver at installation time. Centos
    5.2 x86_64.
    The driver disks are available. Please check out Section 7 of:

    http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b

    Akemi
  • Jerry Geis at Feb 16, 2009 at 4:44 am

    /
    Yep - it's definitely in the kickstart docs - don't remember where
    though...
    / Alternatively, is there a way to do a USB network driver at boot?
    /
    See above... ;)
    / Either is fine... Presently I have a rtl 8168 that just hangs at DHCP
    />/ request.
    />/ I want to use all the kickstart information I have setup, but need the
    />/ network to work for that.
    /
    /From what I recall, there's an entry to the start of the kickstart
    /something like "linux ks=whatever dd" or something like that... How to
    automate it into unattended kickstart? I haven't done that yet, so I'm
    not sure.
    Ian,

    I am looking at the docs and have not seen how to get a USB network adapter
    to be recognized at installation time. Do you know how to do this? I
    have a trendnet et100
    device (usb network adapter) that linux supports. I wish to just disable
    the onboard network,
    use the usb NIC to do my install, and yum udpates, then re-enable the
    onboard NIC.

    My issue is I cannot get the usb NIC to be recognized at installation time?
    Is that possible?

    Jerry

groupcentos @
categoriescentos