In the yum priorities page on the wiki Akemi Yagi suggests
http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

[base], [addons], [updates], [extras] ... priority=1

[centosplus],[contrib] ... priority=2

Third Party Repos ... priority=N (where N is > 10 and
based on your preference)

If you have rpmforge, kbs, epel all set up at 10 then wouldn't
those also potentially overwrite each other if the same package
exists in all of them?

Who has got several 3rd party repos and what are your yum priority
for those?

Regards,
Vandaman.

Search Discussions

  • Akemi Yagi at Dec 7, 2008 at 2:13 pm

    In the yum priorities page on the wiki Akemi Yagi suggests
    http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

    [base], [addons], [updates], [extras] ... priority=1

    [centosplus],[contrib] ... priority=2

    Third Party Repos ... priority=N (where N is > 10 and
    based on your preference)
    I did not write/suggest that particular part (but that does not really matter).
    If you have rpmforge, kbs, epel all set up at 10 then wouldn't
    those also potentially overwrite each other if the same package
    exists in all of them?

    Who has got several 3rd party repos and what are your yum priority
    for those?
    One of my systems have these entries:

    rpmforge.repo:priority@
    kbsingh-CentOS-Extras.repo:priorityP
    kbsingh-CentOS-Misc.repo:priorityP
    atrpms.repo:priority�
    epel.repo:priority�
    CentOS-Testing.repo:priority�
    (not a complete list)

    I do use different sets of numbers depending on what a given system
    runs. In addition to the priority scores, use of exclude= etc is also
    important if you aim at getting certain packages from a repository of
    your choice.

    Akemi
  • Vandaman at Dec 7, 2008 at 7:05 pm

    Akemi Yagi wrote:

    One of my systems have these entries:

    rpmforge.repo:priority@
    kbsingh-CentOS-Extras.repo:priorityP
    kbsingh-CentOS-Misc.repo:priorityP
    atrpms.repo:priority�
    epel.repo:priority�
    CentOS-Testing.repo:priority�
    (not a complete list)

    I do use different sets of numbers depending on what a
    given system
    runs. In addition to the priority scores, use of exclude> etc is also
    important if you aim at getting certain packages from a
    repository of
    your choice.
    It is this exclude=foo that I'm interested in. If you have
    the setup you have described, then one would not need exclude
    as the yum priority should take care of versions shouldn't it?

    If you have say webmin from webmin.com and there is webmin
    in all those repos then it might be good to use exclude but shouldn't
    the plugin handle versions between repos?

    Regards,
    Vandaman.
  • Akemi Yagi at Dec 7, 2008 at 7:41 pm

    I do use different sets of numbers depending on what a
    given system
    runs. In addition to the priority scores, use of exclude=
    etc is also
    important if you aim at getting certain packages from a
    repository of
    your choice.
    It is this exclude=foo that I'm interested in. If you have
    the setup you have described, then one would not need exclude
    as the yum priority should take care of versions shouldn't it?

    If you have say webmin from webmin.com and there is webmin
    in all those repos then it might be good to use exclude but shouldn't
    the plugin handle versions between repos?
    You can find some useful examples here:

    http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CentOSPlus

    It's case by case. You need to find a good combined use of the
    priorities plugin and exclude=, includepkgs=, etc.

    Akemi
  • Kai Schaetzl at Dec 7, 2008 at 2:31 pm