I tried to use tightvnc back in August and had some help, but I stopped
due to IPv6 support. Now I am back at tightvnc and cannot get the
server started. This is on a new Centos install that did have regular
vncserver working on it (I did a yum erase vnc-server first).

So I have a working /etc/sysconfig/vncserver and my user has the
appropriate ~/.vnc files that worked with regular vnc.

Logged in as root, I issue: service vncserver start

and get:

Starting TightVNC remote administration daemon (Xvnc):2:root WARNING:
initlog is deprecated and will be removed in a future
vncserver: The USER environment variable is not set.
[FAILED]

But there is a USER environment variable set:

set|grep USER

PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne
"\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME%%.*}:${PWD/#$HOME/~}"; echo -ne "\007"'
USER=root

(remember, I am logged in as root so I can issue the service command)

And further in /etc/profile I have:

if [ -x /usr/bin/id ]; then
USER="`id -un`"
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"
fi

The only line in the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers is:

VNCSERVERS="2:user"

where user is the userid.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Hull-Richter at Nov 26, 2008 at 12:51 am

    I tried to use tightvnc back in August and had some help, but I stopped due
    to IPv6 support. Now I am back at tightvnc and cannot get the server
    started. This is on a new Centos install that did have regular vncserver
    working on it (I did a yum erase vnc-server first).
    Are you sure you don't want to ask this in the rpmforge list?
    Tightvnc is an rpmforge package, not a CentOS (or RHEL) package....

    mhr
  • Robert Moskowitz at Nov 26, 2008 at 2:16 pm

    MHR wrote:
    I tried to use tightvnc back in August and had some help, but I stopped due
    to IPv6 support. Now I am back at tightvnc and cannot get the server
    started. This is on a new Centos install that did have regular vncserver
    working on it (I did a yum erase vnc-server first).
    Are you sure you don't want to ask this in the rpmforge list?
    I have and on the vnc list.
    Tightvnc is an rpmforge package, not a CentOS (or RHEL) package....
    yes, but there could well be people here that have it working that do
    not follow either the rpmforge list or the vnc list.

    I did some more testing. This problem only occurs for userid root (yes
    I am allowing root login via VNC, but this is in a test setup in a
    closed network on test servers). userid foo only has font problems
    which are fixed with:

    cd /usr/X11R6/
    mkdir lib
    cd lib