Hello all,

I'm relatively new to CentOS, but I've been using linux as my main
operating system on both the desktop and server ends for the past 4 years.

I currently have a PIII server with two 160GB IDE hard drives in it, in
a virtual RAID 1 array. At the time of installation, the only FS choices
for the largest partition, 120GB, were ext2 and ext3. I chose ext3, but
now am wishing to reformat the partition as JFS to skip long file system
check times.

I've done Google searches regarding the topic, which lead me to added
centos.plus to my repo list, and installed the only kernel I see as
being available from CentOSPlus, and yet I still have no JFS modules
loaded or anywhere in /lib/modules/. I installed JFSUtils from the
CentOSPlus repo, but have no way to use the partition that has been
created (by myself, using mkfs.jfs). Short of compiling a kernel with
JFS support from the source package provided with CentOS, I don't know
what to do.

Has anyone else used JFS on CentOS 5.2 successfully? How did you do it?

Thanks,
Hal

Search Discussions

  • Johnny Hughes at Oct 4, 2008 at 9:56 pm

    Hal Martin wrote:
[...]

    The CentOS 5.2 centosplus kernel that is there now has JFS, but I would
    not use it, see below.

    Use this command to see if jfs is there:

    [root@c5-test-x8664 ~]# modinfo jfs

    filename:
    /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.13.el5.centos.plus/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko
    license: GPL
    author: Steve Best/Dave Kleikamp/Barry Arndt, IBM
    srcversion: D5C326655BB63C34D364350
    depends:
    vermagic: 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5.centos.plus SMP mod_unload gcc-4.1
    parm: nTxBlock:Number of transaction blocks (max:65536) (int)
    parm: nTxLock:Number of transaction locks (max:65536) (int)
    parm: commit_threads:Number of commit threads (int)
    module_sig:
    883f35048e3bc7091842e566e2e930112945c09e26cb225d92d833721d7a3ae1e126cd1237a5ade09d1ddb286fbfe0a15aafa60edca92fd2ba82ae795

    Has anyone else used JFS on CentOS 5.2 successfully? How did you do it?
    I would not use JFS on CentOS ... the JFS that is there is the one that
    comes standard for the version of kernel in RHEL as Red Hat is not
    backporting changes for JFS (or XFS, Reiserfs) from newer kernels like
    they do for ext3. So you will have the JFS from the 2.6.18 (for
    CentOS-5) or 2.6.9 (for CentOS-4).

    The only file systems Red Hat supports in RHEL support are ext3 and
    ext3. Unless you absolutely have to have a different one, you should
    use ext3.

    If you are using ext3, it has a journal and most of the time you should
    not do file system checks unless there is an error. I always use the
    -c0 -i0 switches for tune2fs for ext3 partitions and only run flesystem
    checks when there are errors.

    Thanks,
    Johnny Hughes