Had to replace dying cpu and mobo, so also replaced IDE with new SATA
drive. Installed from latest ISO onto SATA and can't get networking to
lease an IP address from my ISP (Comcast). The network utility always
comes up with a private address (192.168.0.2) instead of Comcast IP.

To add to confusion, if I boot into old IDE drive, I get proper network
connection to internet, but lose my swap!

Particulars:

mobo=Gigabyte P35-DS3R
SATA Controller=AHCI
PATA Controller=JMicron 20360
new drive=ATA WDC WD1600AAJS-2
old drive=WDC WD400JB-00JJA0
DVD-RW=Pioneer DVR-112D (PATA)
NICs=eth0=Realtek RTL-8029(AS) (DHCP)
eth1=Realtek RTL-8029(AS) (Static)

Has anyone seen this? Will 5.2 help with this situation? Been working
on this for days!

Thanks,
Dick

--Benjamin Franklin 1775

Search Discussions

  • Juan C. Valido at Jun 3, 2008 at 11:42 am

[...]

    If it helps any, I tried installing 5,1 on a P35-DS3L and I believe I
    had issues with the network card, loaded RHEL 5.2 desktop and everything
    worked so maybe 5.2 will work for you.
  • Dick Roth at Jun 3, 2008 at 10:29 pm

    Juan C. Valido wrote:
[...]

    Thanks for the info, Juan. I'll just hold tight until 5.2 comes down
    the pike.

    Dick

    --Benjamin Franklin 1775
  • Ned Slider at Jun 3, 2008 at 10:49 pm

    Dick Roth wrote:
    Juan C. Valido wrote:
[...]

    Release notes list the following Realtek drivers added, but I don't see
    yours mentions:

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Release_Notes/x86/ar01s01.html

    Network driver r8169 updated to add support for the following devices:

    RTL8169sb/8110sb
    RTL8169sc/8110sc
    RTL8168b/8111b
    RTL8101e
    RTL8100e
  • Juan C. Valido at Jun 5, 2008 at 4:01 pm

[...]

    I don't know maybe it's not listed but it's compatible, I know that it
    works. Same thing with OSX86, it works <GRIN>
  • Tom G. Christensen at Jun 9, 2008 at 9:46 am

    Juan C. Valido wrote:
[...]

    Updating the r8169 driver will not solve a driver issue with the RTL8029
    chip.
    The RTL8029 is an old NE2000 clone chip (must be atleast 10 years old by
    now). It was common on cheap 10Mbit PCI cards and is supported by the
    ne2k-pci driver for many years (and the plain ne2k driver before PCI
    support was split out).

    -tgc

groupcentos @
categoriescentos