I am attempting to implement XFS on a new system.

System:
Supermicro SC846 TQ-R900B - rack-mountable
SUPERMICRO X7DWN+ - motherboard
3ware 9650SE-24M8 - storage controller
10 Hitachi DeskStar 7K1000 - hard drive - 1 TB
8GB Ram
2 Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5420 / 2.5 GHz processor

Installed Centos 5.1 X86 64 from DVD. System on /dev/sda1
? 250GB ext3 (raid 5). /home will be on /dev/sdb1 ? over
7TB XFS.

Kernel version issue

---------------------------------

[root@csfs50 work]# yum install kmod-xfs.x86_64
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages.
Please wait.
---> Downloading header for kmod-xfs to pack into
transaction set.
kmod-xfs-0.4-1.2.6.18_53. 100% |=========================|
2.8 kB 00:00
---> Package kmod-xfs.x86_64 0:0.4-1.2.6.18_53.1.19.el5
set to be installed
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: kernel-x86_64 =
2.6.18-53.1.19.el5 for package: kmod-xfs
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages.
Please wait.
---> Downloading header for kernel to pack into
transaction set.
kernel-2.6.18-53.1.19.el5 100% |=========================|
256 kB 00:00
---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:2.6.18-53.1.19.el5 set to be
installed
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

Package Arch Version
Repository Size
Installing:
kmod-xfs x86_64
0.4-1.2.6.18_53.1.19.el5 extras 253 k
Installing for dependencies:
kernel x86_64 2.6.18-53.1.19.el5
updates 15 M

Transaction Summary
Install 2 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 16 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/2): kmod-xfs-0.4-1.2.6 100% |=========================|
253 kB 00:00
(2/2): kernel-2.6.18-53.1 100% |=========================|
15 MB 00:02
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
package kernel-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 (which is newer than
kernel-2.6.18-53.1.19.el5) is already installed

Error Summary
-------------

Search Discussions

  • Johnny Hughes at May 31, 2008 at 10:16 am

    mslist@opcenter.net wrote:
[...]

    The problem is that the extras and centosplus items are on hold while
    work on CentOS-5.2.

    I have not built the centosplus kernel for 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 as we are
    using the builders for 5.2 and kernels take forever to build in the
    builders as the debuginfo files are hundreds of MBs in size each.

    I also normally build all the extras kmods while I build the centosplus
    kernel, so they were also not yet done ... however I did go ahead and
    build the new kmods for drbd82, xfs, and kvm for the new
    2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 kernel and those have now been pushed to the extras
    directory.

    They should be synced to the external public mirrors in a couple hours,
    and should be on mirror.centos.org now here:

    http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.1/extras/