Is there any 3rd party repository for which I can get the latest
versions of Firefox and Thunderbird for CentOS 5.1 and install them
using yum ?

Search Discussions

  • Michael A. Peters at Feb 15, 2008 at 10:00 pm

    Edward Diener wrote:
    Is there any 3rd party repository for which I can get the latest
    versions of Firefox and Thunderbird for CentOS 5.1 and install them
    using yum ?
    http://www.pennywasted.info/centos/yjl.php

    The [yjl-ff2] repo has firefox 2, thunderbird 2, and rebuilds of some
    apps that are gecko-libs dependent (yelp and devhelp)

    They are rebuilds of Fedora 8 src.rpm's (with very minor mod to firefox
    2 spec file).
  • Johnny Hughes at Feb 15, 2008 at 11:39 pm

    Edward Diener wrote:
    Is there any 3rd party repository for which I can get the latest
    versions of Firefox and Thunderbird for CentOS 5.1 and install them
    using yum ?
    to be honest, I am currently using the firefox2 and thunderbird2
    binaries from mozilla.com ... they are fairly easy to install and keep
    updated on a limited number of machines.

    I also use the OpenOffice.org 2.3.x binaries on my workstation from OOo.

    Keeping both of these cutting edge (just on workstations) from upstream
    seems to work and is not too difficult.

    CentOS will be adding Firefox-3.0 to CentOS-5 (and maybe CentOS-4)
    centosplus when it is released upstream.

    Thanks,
    Johnny Hughes