I have a new dell t105(opty 1210's with 4 gigs of ram..sata hdd's and
sata dvd-rom). I can bot to the Cent 5 64 bit dvd fine but once it asks
where the install image is i tell it cd-rom..then it rejects the dvd
spits it out and tells me it's not there. the same happens on 32 bit.
I have downloaded centos5 twice now, md5 verified..and even burned at
1x(that took forever). Any ideas as to why it refuses to see a disk
that's there, properly burned, and verified?

--
Registered Microsoft Partner

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17

Search Discussions

  • William Warren at Jan 24, 2008 at 10:17 pm
    well it boots onto my athlon64 system. what's weird is no centos dvd
    will install..they all die at that point. The centos 32 bit CD's also
    work fine. I guess something in this machine does not like centos
    dvd's. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm starting the centos 64 bit cd
    set torrent now but if i can find a solution in the next 6 hours(burning
    and downloading time) i'd be highly appreciative.

    Wiliam

    William Warren wrote:
    I have a new dell t105(opty 1210's with 4 gigs of ram..sata hdd's and
    sata dvd-rom). I can bot to the Cent 5 64 bit dvd fine but once it asks
    where the install image is i tell it cd-rom..then it rejects the dvd
    spits it out and tells me it's not there. the same happens on 32 bit. I
    have downloaded centos5 twice now, md5 verified..and even burned at
    1x(that took forever). Any ideas as to why it refuses to see a disk
    that's there, properly burned, and verified?
    --
    Registered Microsoft Partner

    My "Foundation" verse:
    Isa 54:17
  • Scott Silva at Jan 24, 2008 at 10:34 pm

    on 1/24/2008 2:17 PM William Warren spake the following:

    William Warren wrote:
    I have a new dell t105(opty 1210's with 4 gigs of ram..sata hdd's and
    sata dvd-rom). I can bot to the Cent 5 64 bit dvd fine but once it
    asks where the install image is i tell it cd-rom..then it rejects the
    dvd spits it out and tells me it's not there. the same happens on 32
    bit. I have downloaded centos5 twice now, md5 verified..and even
    burned at 1x(that took forever). Any ideas as to why it refuses to
    see a disk that's there, properly burned, and verified?
    If you have another server available, you can loop mount the dvd and share it
    by HTTP. In the images directory is a boot.iso that you can burn to CD and do
    network installs.

    --
    MailScanner is like deodorant...
    You hope everybody uses it, and

  • William Warren at Jan 24, 2008 at 11:02 pm
    will the network install iso on the mirrors do the same thing? If so
    yes i have another server(the one who's hard drives are going to wind up
    in this one..<G.). So i would have to setup apache for this it sounds
    like. It's going to take a bit to figure out..but that's ht challenge(i
    bought the server for testing various vm scenarios..<G.)

    William Warren wrote:
    I have a new dell t105(opty 1210's with 4 gigs of ram..sata hdd's and
    sata dvd-rom). I can bot to the Cent 5 64 bit dvd fine but once it
    asks where the install image is i tell it cd-rom..then it rejects the
    dvd spits it out and tells me it's not there. the same happens on 32
    bit. I have downloaded centos5 twice now, md5 verified..and even
    burned at 1x(that took forever). Any ideas as to why it refuses to
    see a disk that's there, properly burned, and verified?
    If you have another server available, you can loop mount the dvd and
    share it by HTTP. In the images directory is a boot.iso that you can
    burn to CD and do network installs.

    Registered Microsoft Partner

    My "Foundation" verse:
    Isa 54:17
  • Scott Silva at Jan 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm

    on 1/24/2008 3:02 PM William Warren spake the following:
    will the network install iso on the mirrors do the same thing? If so
    yes i have another server(the one who's hard drives are going to wind up
    in this one..<G.). So i would have to setup apache for this it sounds
    like. It's going to take a bit to figure out..but that's ht challenge(i
    bought the server for testing various vm scenarios..<G.)
    Probably. But you could also install from one of the mirrors and just do a
    minimal install, and yum install the rest. You just need to find a mirror
    close to you and get the path right.

    --
    MailScanner is like deodorant...
    You hope everybody uses it, and
    you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

  • William Warren at Jan 24, 2008 at 11:51 pm
    I'll have to take a look and see if that network install iso will do
    that..:)

    Once i figure that out i'll then see if i can setup a vm..enable remote
    access for the user..and have them do a net install..hrmm i might setup
    a dedicated hard drive as a repo mirror for centos 4 and 5. Oh the
    possibilities.

    Scott Silva wrote:
    on 1/24/2008 3:02 PM William Warren spake the following:
    will the network install iso on the mirrors do the same thing? If so
    yes i have another server(the one who's hard drives are going to wind
    up in this one..<G.). So i would have to setup apache for this it
    sounds like. It's going to take a bit to figure out..but that's ht
    challenge(i bought the server for testing various vm scenarios..<G.)
    Probably. But you could also install from one of the mirrors and just do
    a minimal install, and yum install the rest. You just need to find a
    mirror close to you and get the path right.

    Registered Microsoft Partner

    My "Foundation" verse:
    Isa 54:17
  • William Warren at Jan 25, 2008 at 4:14 pm
    I just realized the old server had a cd rom not dvd..:(

    I wonder if i can install directly from one of the mirrors over http?

    William Warren wrote:
    I have a new dell t105(opty 1210's with 4 gigs of ram..sata hdd's and
    sata dvd-rom). I can bot to the Cent 5 64 bit dvd fine but once it
    asks where the install image is i tell it cd-rom..then it rejects the
    dvd spits it out and tells me it's not there. the same happens on 32
    bit. I have downloaded centos5 twice now, md5 verified..and even
    burned at 1x(that took forever). Any ideas as to why it refuses to
    see a disk that's there, properly burned, and verified?
    If you have another server available, you can loop mount the dvd and
    share it by HTTP. In the images directory is a boot.iso that you can
    burn to CD and do network installs.

    Registered Microsoft Partner

    My "Foundation" verse:
    Isa 54:17
  • Scott Silva at Jan 25, 2008 at 5:16 pm

    on 1/25/2008 8:14 AM William Warren spake the following:
    I just realized the old server had a cd rom not dvd..:(

    I wonder if i can install directly from one of the mirrors over http?
    You should be able to, but do a minimal install and yum install the rest.