hi all,

how do i mount usb laptop hard drive to a centos 4 box? this hard drive
has 2 partitions: NT (winxp os) and fat32 for data. i'm unable to boot
from it and i think NT partition is corrupted. i did try to connect to
windows box, but i still can't get to fat32. any idea how to do this on
centos box? i gave up on windows box.

thanks,
T. Hiep

Search Discussions

  • Hiep Nguyen at Aug 2, 2007 at 2:33 pm
    and when i typed dmesg | tail and i got this:

    Additional sense: Write error
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 39776936
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 4972117
    scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 02 5e f2 a8 00
    00 08 00
    Info fld=0x0, Current sda: sense key Medium Error
    Additional sense: Write error
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 39776936
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 4972117
    FAT: invalid media value (0xb9)
    VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.

    anyone got any idea?

    T. Hiep

    how do i mount usb laptop hard drive to a centos 4 box? this hard drive has
    2 partitions: NT (winxp os) and fat32 for data. i'm unable to boot from it
    and i think NT partition is corrupted. i did try to connect to windows box,
    but i still can't get to fat32. any idea how to do this on centos box? i
    gave up on windows box.

    thanks,
    T. Hiep

  • Scott Silva at Aug 2, 2007 at 3:50 pm

    Hiep Nguyen spake the following on 8/2/2007 7:33 AM:
    and when i typed dmesg | tail and i got this:

    Additional sense: Write error
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 39776936
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 4972117
    scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB: Read (10) 00 02 5e f2 a8 00
    00 08 00
    Info fld=0x0, Current sda: sense key Medium Error
    Additional sense: Write error
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 39776936
    Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 4972117
    FAT: invalid media value (0xb9)
    VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.

    anyone got any idea?
    Sounds like the drive is past corrupt and actually dead. You might need to try
    some recovery software, or if the data is real important, send it out to a
    recovery service like Ontrack or Drivesavers. That option is very pricey,
    though. I just sent in a 160 GB USB drive that our engineer was storing stuff
    to, and it ran near $2000.00 USD. He has since been flogged for not using
    company standard data storage practices.

    --

    MailScanner is like deodorant...
    You hope everybody uses it, and

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedAug 2, '07 at 2:16p
activeAug 2, '07 at 3:50p
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Hiep Nguyen: 2 posts Scott Silva: 1 post