I'm in the process of updating all my CentOS systems from 4.4 to
4.5. One of the systems is spewing out the following error during
the reboot:

INIT: version 2.85 booting
INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation at 0x420! sleeping for 30 seconds

This happens so early in the boot I have no idea what I can do to
debug this. I suspect it is a hardware problem and not something
caused by the "yum update", but I thought I'd mention it here in case
anyone else has any ideas.

Update: I originally sent this message out yesterday, but my email
client used the wrong account so it didn't get posted to the list.
I've since re-imaged this system (thank you Red Hat for Kickstart),
but I am still curious what could have possibly caused this and any
debugging techniques that can be used in this situation.

On a vaguely related note, I also have pondered the following in the
past; if you observe a system booting, you'll see all the "[OK]" and
"[FAILED]" messages. Is there a log somewhere where you can check
later on which services were started and which passed or failed?

Thanks,
Alfred

Search Discussions

  • John R Pierce at Jun 1, 2007 at 6:41 pm

    Alfred von Campe wrote:
    On a vaguely related note, I also have pondered the following in the
    past; if you observe a system booting, you'll see all the "[OK]" and
    "[FAILED]" messages. Is there a log somewhere where you can check
    later on which services were started and which passed or failed?
    the `dmesg` command will display the kernel message buffer, which
    includes messages prior to syslogd starting up. also look in
    /var/log/messages

    as dmesg can eventually overflow with junk (iptables logging messages,
    for instance), I've been known to stuff a command like

    dmesg > /var/log/dmesg.boot

    into /etc/rc.d/rc.local just to keep a copy of the state of dmesg right
    after boot for later reference.
  • Alfred von Campe at Jun 1, 2007 at 7:02 pm

    the `dmesg` command will display the kernel message buffer, which
    includes messages prior to syslogd starting up. also look in /var/
    log/messages

    as dmesg can eventually overflow with junk (iptables logging
    messages, for instance), I've been known to stuff a command like

    dmesg > /var/log/dmesg.boot

    into /etc/rc.d/rc.local just to keep a copy of the state of dmesg
    right after boot for later reference.
    I believe that at this point init has just started, so that rc.local
    has not been called yet. But I'll give that a try next time.

    Alfred
  • Luciano Rocha at Jun 1, 2007 at 7:03 pm

    On a vaguely related note, I also have pondered the following in the past;
    if you observe a system booting, you'll see all the "[OK]" and "[FAILED]"
    messages. Is there a log somewhere where you can check later on which
    services were started and which passed or failed?
    the `dmesg` command will display the kernel message buffer, which includes
    messages prior to syslogd starting up. also look in /var/log/messages
    dmesg will only show kernel messages, as you say, so it won't help with
    checking [OK]/[FAILED].

    Also, only those scripts that explicitly use syslog facilities
    (initlog(8), logger(1) or syslog(3)) will send output to syslog. All the
    other scripts won't, in Centos 5, as the lines that spawned initlog are
    all commented out in init.d/functions (don't know why).
    as dmesg can eventually overflow with junk (iptables logging messages, for
    instance), I've been known to stuff a command like

    dmesg > /var/log/dmesg.boot

    into /etc/rc.d/rc.local just to keep a copy of the state of dmesg right
    after boot for later reference.
    rc.sysinit already does that, to /var/log/dmesg.

    What I usually do is change "/sbin/mingetty tty1" to "/sbin/mingetty
    --noclear tty1".

    The contents of tty1 are available in /dev/vcs1.

    --
    lfr
    0/0