Hi all,

I'm trying to install CentOS 5 as a domU in a CentOS5 dom0 system and I
use Virtual Machine Manager to do it.
I've dumped all CentOS5 CDs contents in /var/www/CentOS to make a local
http media source. It works fine in dom0 browser.
When I arrive in "Locating installation media[*]" step I point out to
http://localhost/CentOS (which is perfectly active and available)
resource, but the application always responds the same: Error, HTTP
resource not available. I've also tried with http://127.0.0.1/CentOS
but I get the same error message.

????

[*] I follow the
http://www.centos.org/docs//5/html/Virtualization-en-US/virt-install-wizard.html
documantation.

Jordi Espasa Clofent

Search Discussions

  • Daniel de Kok at May 2, 2007 at 9:58 pm

    I'm trying to install CentOS 5 as a domU in a CentOS5 dom0 system and I
    use Virtual Machine Manager to do it.
    I've dumped all CentOS5 CDs contents in /var/www/CentOS to make a local
    http media source. It works fine in dom0 browser.
    When I arrive in "Locating installation media[*]" step I point out to
    http://localhost/CentOS (which is perfectly active and available)
    resource, but the application always responds the same: Error, HTTP
    resource not available. I've also tried with http://127.0.0.1/CentOS
    but I get the same error message.
    Please remember that dom0 and domU are different systems that just
    happen to share the same hardware. So, both dom0 and domUs have their
    own loopback interface, from domU 127.0.0.1 is its own loopback, and not
    that of dom0. So, you should enter a IP address that the domU can use to
    talk to dom0 (like a valid IP address on the network that both domains
    are on).

    -- Daniel
  • Jordi Espasa Clofent at May 2, 2007 at 10:32 pm

    Please remember that dom0 and domU are different systems that just
    happen to share the same hardware. So, both dom0 and domUs have their
    own loopback interface, from domU 127.0.0.1 is its own loopback, and not
    that of dom0. So, you should enter a IP address that the domU can use to
    talk to dom0 (like a valid IP address on the network that both domains
    are on).
    Ok Daniel; your explanation is very clear. But ?how do I make it?

    Jordi Espasa Clofent
  • Scott Silva at May 2, 2007 at 10:00 pm

    Jordi Espasa Clofent spake the following on 5/2/2007 2:37 PM:
    Hi all,

    I'm trying to install CentOS 5 as a domU in a CentOS5 dom0 system and I
    use Virtual Machine Manager to do it.
    I've dumped all CentOS5 CDs contents in /var/www/CentOS to make a local
    http media source. It works fine in dom0 browser.
    When I arrive in "Locating installation media[*]" step I point out to
    http://localhost/CentOS (which is perfectly active and available)
    resource, but the application always responds the same: Error, HTTP
    resource not available. I've also tried with http://127.0.0.1/CentOS
    but I get the same error message.

    ????

    [*] I follow the
    http://www.centos.org/docs//5/html/Virtualization-en-US/virt-install-wizard.html
    documantation.
    Have you tried specifying the "real" address instead of the loopback address?
    The loopback address on Dom0 is not reachable from Domu, because Domu has its own.

    --

    MailScanner is like deodorant...
    You hope everybody uses it, and

    Have you tried specifying the "real" address instead of the loopback address?
    The loopback address on Dom0 is not reachable from Domu, because Domu has its own.
    Ok, but AFAIK domU doesn't exist yet!

    Jordi Espasa Clofent
  • Scott Silva at May 2, 2007 at 10:54 pm

    Jordi Espasa Clofent spake the following on 5/2/2007 3:33 PM:
    Have you tried specifying the "real" address instead of the loopback
    address?
    The loopback address on Dom0 is not reachable from Domu, because Domu
    has its own.
    Ok, but AFAIK domU doesn't exist yet!
    As soon as you are running the install for the DomU, it is just as if you were
    running the install on another machine. When you set up your Dom0, you had to
    give it a local ip address. This is the address that the domU needs to
    communicate with.

    --

    MailScanner is like deodorant...
    You hope everybody uses it, and
    you notice quickly if they don't!!!!
  • Jordi Espasa Clofent at May 3, 2007 at 7:07 am

    As soon as you are running the install for the DomU, it is just as if you were
    running the install on another machine. When you set up your Dom0, you had to
    give it a local ip address. This is the address that the domU needs to
    communicate with.
    Mmmm... Virtual Machine Manager doesn't offer this config option by
    default (or I don't know). Maybe I have to try it with another virtual
    machines manager (ie, xm or virsh).

    Jordi Espasa Clofent
  • Daniel de Kok at May 3, 2007 at 7:16 am

    As soon as you are running the install for the DomU, it is just as if you were
    running the install on another machine. When you set up your Dom0, you had to
    give it a local ip address. This is the address that the domU needs to
    communicate with.
    Mmmm... Virtual Machine Manager doesn't offer this config option by
    default (or I don't know). Maybe I have to try it with another virtual
    machines manager (ie, xm or virsh).
    It does, you can enter the mirror that you want. Say that you have a
    local copy of CentOS served by dom0, and dom0 has the IP address
    192.168.1.201 on the network, and the domU address 192.168.1.202. You'd
    enter 192.168.1.201/path/to/repo as the "Install media URL".

    -- Daniel
  • Jordi Espasa Clofent at May 3, 2007 at 7:28 am

    It does, you can enter the mirror that you want. Say that you have a
    local copy of CentOS served by dom0, and dom0 has the IP address
    192.168.1.201 on the network, and the domU address 192.168.1.202. You'd
    enter 192.168.1.201/path/to/repo as the "Install media URL".
    Ok, I know it and indeed I've tried it. But I insist: I've not defined
    ther domU adress in anywhere (How I can? Where I can?). I supose this is
    the my main fault.

    Jordi Espasa Clofent
  • Daniel de Kok at May 3, 2007 at 7:54 am

    It does, you can enter the mirror that you want. Say that you have a
    local copy of CentOS served by dom0, and dom0 has the IP address
    192.168.1.201 on the network, and the domU address 192.168.1.202. You'd
    enter 192.168.1.201/path/to/repo as the "Install media URL".
    Ok, I know it and indeed I've tried it. But I insist: I've not defined
    ther domU adress in anywhere (How I can? Where I can?). I supose this is
    the my main fault.
    Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your previous message. It's defined during
    the first step of the installation ("Configure TCP/IP"). At any rate,
    the domU address is not as important, as long as it has networking, but
    you will have to enter the dom0 address as part of the media URL.

    -- Daniel
  • Jordi Espasa Clofent at May 3, 2007 at 8:18 am

    It does, you can enter the mirror that you want. Say that you have a
    local copy of CentOS served by dom0, and dom0 has the IP address
    192.168.1.201 on the network, and the domU address 192.168.1.202. You'd
    enter 192.168.1.201/path/to/repo as the "Install media URL".
    Ok, I know it and indeed I've tried it. But I insist: I've not defined
    ther domU adress in anywhere (How I can? Where I can?). I supose this is
    the my main fault.
    Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your previous message. It's defined during
    the first step of the installation ("Configure TCP/IP"). At any rate,
    the domU address is not as important, as long as it has networking, but
    you will have to enter the dom0 address as part of the media URL.
    Daniel, first of all, thanks for your intensive help!

    I just start with XEN management, so I think I don't know many essencial
    points (as the present topic).

    I try to explain better:

    * The last goal is build a CentOS5-based system with XEN. Up this dom0 I
    want to build a lot of domU with CentOS5 also.

    In /boot/grub/grub.conf I have the next:
    title CentOS (2.6.18-8.1.3.el5xen)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5
    module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5xen ro
    root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    module /initrd-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5xen.img

    So I boot whith xen-system by default.
    This system has a definend IP (192.168.1.33/DHCP) and the httpd service
    is running fine.

    When I try to install a new virtual machine with Virtual Machine Manager
    I get always the same error: HTTP resource doesn't found. Even if I try
    to point out with dom0 IP I get the same error again.

    I don't understand why. I understand perfectly what you're telling me, but:

    ?Where do I define the domU IP?

    Is clear the Virtual Machine Manager needs one IP previosly definend in
    a place which I unknow.

    PD. Note that this is a private message. I do it because I don't want
    overload the public list whit this question.

    Jordi Espasa Clofent

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedMay 2, '07 at 9:37p