Hi, yesterday my linux machine gave me some smartd errors so i checked
the disk in another machine and it had defective sectors, I installed
a new hard disk on the original machine.
Today this is being reported in logwatch.
I have a Maxtor (200gig) as hda, a cdrom as hdc and another hard disk
that is used for storage as hdd. All plain IDE (not sata)

end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector...: 216 Time(s)
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { Uncorrect...: 216 Time(s)
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }...: 216 Time(s)

--

Comments?

Erick Perez

  • Matty at Dec 7, 2006 at 2:25 pm

    Hi, yesterday my linux machine gave me some smartd errors so i checked
    the disk in another machine and it had defective sectors, I installed
    a new hard disk on the original machine.
    Today this is being reported in logwatch.
    I have a Maxtor (200gig) as hda, a cdrom as hdc and another hard disk
    that is used for storage as hdd. All plain IDE (not sata)

    end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector...: 216 Time(s)
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { Uncorrect...: 216 Time(s)
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }...: 216 Time(s)
    Did you run an enxtended SMART self test on the drive? If two disk
    drives are reporting errors, I would start to wonder if the controller
    isn't at fault. The SMART self test should help with isolating the
    faulty component.

    Thanks,
    - Ryan
    --