I currently have a server with centos 4.3 setup to do email. I use
sendmail as the receiving agent and Dovecot as the pop/imap server. Users
authenticate off of a openldap server. Under a light load things appear
to work fine. However under a moderately heavy load connections are left
open in a waiting state. This causes some email to bounce with user
unknown, users authentications fails with bad username/password all with
valid accounts.

I am trying to figure out what the cause is to fix it but with out
success. By restarting ldap and the ldap server I can minimize the
problem because the connections get reset. I find nothing when I google
on the subject. I don't believe this is a problem with the ldap server
because I have a Fedora core machine using it without problems.

Any help or ideas on how to track down the problem would be appreciated.

Myron Williams

Search Discussions

  • Paul Heinlein at Jul 12, 2006 at 8:11 pm

    I currently have a server with centos 4.3 setup to do email. I use
    sendmail as the receiving agent and Dovecot as the pop/imap server.
    Users authenticate off of a openldap server. Under a light load
    things appear to work fine. However under a moderately heavy load
    connections are left open in a waiting state. This causes some
    email to bounce with user unknown, users authentications fails with
    bad username/password all with valid accounts.

    I am trying to figure out what the cause is to fix it but with out
    success. By restarting ldap and the ldap server I can minimize the
    problem because the connections get reset. I find nothing when I
    google on the subject. I don't believe this is a problem with the
    ldap server because I have a Fedora core machine using it without
    problems.
    Are you running nscd on the client side?

    Have you tried bumping the slapd cache on the server side? (The config
    directive for doing so is specific to the database backend you're
    using.)

    --
    Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@madboa.com <> www.madboa.com

groupcentos @
categoriescentos
postedJul 12, '06 at 7:30p
activeJul 12, '06 at 8:11p
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

2 users in discussion

Paul Heinlein: 1 post Myron Williams: 1 post