I have a lot of this errors in my Centos stock 4.3 version in an Intel
D945gnt motherboard with a Pentium D (dual core)

If I disable apic in the grub.conf (apic=off) will I get a performance
hit? Im running Asterisk on that machine.

40 is Received Illegal Vector
20 is Send Illegal Vector
60 means you're getting both errors at the same time.

Basically it means that the APIC bus messages are malformed.
The cause can be hardware or software, it's difficult to tell.

APIC error on CPU0: 60(60)
APIC error on CPU0: 60(60)
APIC error on CPU0: 60(60)

cat /proc/cpuinfo shows:
processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 2666.770
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm pni monitor
ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips : 5333.47
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
power management:

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 2666.770
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36
clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm pni monitor
ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips : 5338.11
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
power management:

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780

mailto: eaperezh@gmail.com
mailto: eperez@ptysystems.com

  • Johnny Hughes at Jun 9, 2006 at 11:52 am

[...]

    Make sure you have the latest BIOS and see if the manufacturer has any
    linux kernel modules on their site.

    APIC should not affect performance, it might affect your ability to auto
    power off the machine.