Hello CentOS,

I've just taken 2 old servers running CentOS 3.x, wiped it out, and
installed CentOS 4.1

The systems seemed to work fine with CentOS 4.1, but when I proceeded
to run yum -y update, all the RPM's (101) download and seem to install
fine - however, upon reboot, partitions such as /usr/ and /var will
not mount (ext3). These machines both use the Intel S875WP1 P4
Mainboards. Both use SATA Drives. One uses the promise controller
(which on install seems to find a suitable driver).

Anyway, I've also tried installing directly from the CentOS 4.2 Server
CD, same issue. Install goes fine, but bootup won't mount /var

Any idea what this is all about?

--
Best regards,
Mickael

Search Discussions

  • Mickael Maddison at Nov 28, 2005 at 10:52 pm
    Just to confirm, I've reinstalled 4.1 from scratch, and the machines
    both seem to run just fine, but the problem is, I use YUM to update my
    machines, so now I am also worried about other machines that might be
    affected by this strange update issue.

    --
    Best regards,
    Mickael
    mailto:centos@silverservers.com

    Hello CentOS,
    I've just taken 2 old servers running CentOS 3.x, wiped it out, and
    installed CentOS 4.1
    The systems seemed to work fine with CentOS 4.1, but when I proceeded
    to run yum -y update, all the RPM's (101) download and seem to install
    fine - however, upon reboot, partitions such as /usr/ and /var will
    not mount (ext3). These machines both use the Intel S875WP1 P4
    Mainboards. Both use SATA Drives. One uses the promise controller
    (which on install seems to find a suitable driver).
    Anyway, I've also tried installing directly from the CentOS 4.2 Server
    CD, same issue. Install goes fine, but bootup won't mount /var
    Any idea what this is all about?
  • Benjamin Smith at Nov 29, 2005 at 12:15 am
    Wbat happens if you install with 4.2? What errors do you see when you try to
    mount these partn?

    -Ben
[...]

    - XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978
  • Kevin Krieser at Nov 29, 2005 at 3:16 am
    I ran into a similar problem with the upgrade to 4.2 from 4.1, and
    help on this list pointed me to the following link:

    http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id50

    In my case, I had more than 1 hard drive, and the second hard drive
    wasn't usable. I had to remove, I believe, the dmraid package. You
    didn't mention whether you have 1 or more hard drives.

    I've just taken 2 old servers running CentOS 3.x, wiped it out, and
    installed CentOS 4.1

    The systems seemed to work fine with CentOS 4.1, but when I proceeded
    to run yum -y update, all the RPM's (101) download and seem to install
    fine - however, upon reboot, partitions such as /usr/ and /var will
    not mount (ext3). These machines both use the Intel S875WP1 P4
    Mainboards. Both use SATA Drives. One uses the promise controller
    (which on install seems to find a suitable driver).

    Anyway, I've also tried installing directly from the CentOS 4.2 Server
    CD, same issue. Install goes fine, but bootup won't mount /var

    Any idea what this is all about?

    --
    Best regards,
    Mickael
    mailto:centos@silverservers.com

  • Mickael Maddison at Nov 29, 2005 at 3:54 pm
    Hello Kevin,

    That seems to have done the trick. So yes, I had 2 drives in one
    machine, 3 in the other. It was strange though, some of the
    partitions that wouldn't load were on sda, some sdb and some sdc.

    Anyway, thanks. I hope they fix dmraid.