greetings,

is it a proper way and/or good idea to perform a yum update in the
background like this?

yum -y update &

at this moment, i do not have as reliable of an "wireless access connection"
to the remote server machine at the data center as i would like and i want
to take this one box from 4.1 to latest 4.2

comments please?

thanks!

- rh

--
Robert Hanson - Abba Communications
Computer & Internet Services

Search Discussions

  • Mbest at Oct 19, 2005 at 4:54 pm

    greetings,

    is it a proper way and/or good idea to perform a yum update in the
    background like this?

    yum -y update &

    at this moment, i do not have as reliable of an "wireless access
    connection"
    to the remote server machine at the data center as i would like and i want
    to take this one box from 4.1 to latest 4.2
    use screen or nohup?

    -Mike
  • Paul at Oct 19, 2005 at 6:15 pm

    is it a proper way and/or good idea to perform a yum update in the
    background like this?

    yum -y update &

    at this moment, i do not have as reliable of an "wireless access
    connection"
    to the remote server machine at the data center as i would like and i want
    to take this one box from 4.1 to latest 4.2
    use screen or nohup?
    I would vote for screen myself.

    Paul
  • Michael Grinnell at Oct 19, 2005 at 5:15 pm

    is it a proper way and/or good idea to perform a yum update in the
    background like this?

    yum -y update &

    at this moment, i do not have as reliable of an "wireless access
    connection"
    to the remote server machine at the data center as i would like and
    i want
    to take this one box from 4.1 to latest 4.2

    comments please?

    thanks!

    - rh

    --
    Robert Hanson - Abba Communications
    Computer & Internet Services
    www.abbacomm.net
    Use screen.

    http://jmcpherson.org/screen.html
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Using_screen

    Michael Grinnell
    Network Security Administrator
    The American University
    e-mail: grinnell@american.edu
  • Robert at Oct 19, 2005 at 5:53 pm
    } >
    }
    } Use screen.
    }
    } http://jmcpherson.org/screen.html
    } http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Using_screen

    im following your theory on recommendation yet not following based upon my
    scenario right now.

    maybe i should clarify...

    i am ssh'ing into a bash shell on a CentOS 4.1 server at a datacenter. it is
    just a backup dns server and so if i lose after a reboot, ill be ok.

    my access connection can go up and down at times so i was hoping that i
    could do a

    yum -y update &

    and later just come back and reboot it into 4.2

    good idea or not? if not, please explain and thanks

    if i have to, ill install screen, yet will this simple yum update idea
    work???

    - rh

    --
    Robert Hanson - Abba Communications
    Computer & Internet Services
    www.abbacomm.net
  • Michael Grinnell at Oct 19, 2005 at 6:54 pm

[...]

    Your basic scenario would be:

    1) ssh into server
    2) start screen
    3) yum update
    4) detach screen (yum continues in background)
    5) ssh into server again
    6) reattach screen
    7) check status of yum process, check errors, etc.
    8) once yum is finished, reboot

    The advantage of doing this with screen is that even if your ssh
    connection dies in the middle of typing a command, you can ssh back
    into the server, reattach the screen, and be right where you left off.

    I can't really speak to the wisdom of yum -y update & as I always
    like to know what questions it asks me before I say yes or no.

    I hope this was the answer you were looking for,

    Michael Grinnell
    Network Security Administrator
    The American University
    e-mail: grinnell@american.edu
  • Les Mikesell at Oct 19, 2005 at 9:36 pm