Since this is National Kernel Day, I have a question. No, 2 questions:
I'm running an Asus A7N8X Deluxe ver 2 m/b with an AMD processor:

[root@mavis ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 1912.933
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge
mca cmov patpse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 3776.51

For some reason, Anaconda thinks I need an smp kernel. This is a
wrong-headed notion that showed up in FC1 and continued to FC2, FC3 and
CentOS 4. It always installs both kernels, making -smp the default
which I have to change to non-smp for ntpd to work right (Gives
off-the-chart jitter, never syncs, etc). I have read in one place or
another that:
1. It's O.K. to run an smp kernel on a single-processor machine
2. The installer picks the smp kernel if the cpu flag "ht" is set --
which mine isn't.

So, can anyone explain why, on a fresh bare-metal install I'm blessed
with an smp kernel? Also, is the statement about an smp kernel running
O.K. on a single processor machine pure hogwash or is there something
goofy about my m/b and/or processor?
Of course, once there is an -smp kernel installed "yum update kernel*"
keeps the string of luck going.
--
It is Sun Aug 21 09:48:33 CDT 2005 ratnow. The next Next-Step will
begin in 2526087 seconds at 3:30 P.M. on Monday 9/19/2005