Apparently in order to get Japanese input working, I need to edit my
Xdefaults file.

By hunting on the web, I've read that I can create my own Xdefaults
file, but it's been very difficult to determine where I should create it.

I simply want to add the following line to this file:
*inputMethod kinput2

... so that Japanese input will be enabled. I want this setting to be
global for all users of my machine (which is only me, but just in case).

So where is, or where should be, my Xdefaults file?

Just in case anyone wants to know where I got this idea from, I got it
from here:
http://laeren.zoggins.net/japan/japanmoz.shtml

Thanks

Search Discussions

  • StarQuake at Aug 8, 2005 at 2:26 pm

    Dave Gutteridge wrote:
    Apparently in order to get Japanese input working, I need to edit my
    Xdefaults file.

    By hunting on the web, I've read that I can create my own Xdefaults
    file, but it's been very difficult to determine where I should create it.

    I simply want to add the following line to this file:
    *inputMethod kinput2

    ... so that Japanese input will be enabled. I want this setting to be
    global for all users of my machine (which is only me, but just in case).

    So where is, or where should be, my Xdefaults file?

    Just in case anyone wants to know where I got this idea from, I got it
    from here:
    http://laeren.zoggins.net/japan/japanmoz.shtml

    Thanks
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want it for your user
    only use ~/.Xdefaults

    StarQuake
    --
    for some how-to's and rpms visit my site : http://solid.bounceme.net
    for commercially supported solutions visit : http://www.robas.com

    It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want it for your
    user only use ~/.Xdefaults
    I don't know what that tilde implies. Does that mean it would be in (for
    example) /home/dave/.Xdefaults?

    What if I want it to be a global setting for all users of the computer?

    Dave
  • Phil Schaffner at Aug 9, 2005 at 3:06 pm