I have set up a kvm host and configured a standard clone
prototype for generating new guests. One persistent (pun
intended) annoyance when cloning is the behaviour of udev
with respect to the virtual network interface.

The prototype is configured with just eth0 having a
dedicated IP addr. When the prototype is cloned udev
creates rules for both eth0 and eth1 in the clone.
Because eth1 does not exist in the cloned guest one has to
manually edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to
get rid of the bogus entries and then restart the clone
instance to have the changes take effect. All this does is
return the new guest to the prototype eth0 configuration.

Is there no way to alter udev's behaviour? Is udev even
needed on a server system using virtual hardware?
Altering the rules file not a big deal in itself but it
adds needless busywork when setting up a new guest.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
James B. Byrne mailto:ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca

Search Discussions

  • Scott Dowdle at Jan 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm
    Greetings,
    I have set up a kvm host and configured a standard clone
    prototype for generating new guests. One persistent (pun
    intended) annoyance when cloning is the behaviour of udev
    with respect to the virtual network interface.

    The prototype is configured with just eth0 having a
    dedicated IP addr. When the prototype is cloned udev
    creates rules for both eth0 and eth1 in the clone.
    Because eth1 does not exist in the cloned guest one has to
    manually edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to
    get rid of the bogus entries and then restart the clone
    instance to have the changes take effect. All this does is
    return the new guest to the prototype eth0 configuration.

    Is there no way to alter udev's behaviour? Is udev even
    needed on a server system using virtual hardware?
    Altering the rules file not a big deal in itself but it
    adds needless busywork when setting up a new guest.
    That's how it is on physical machines (I image lab computers and have to clean up the udev rules file among other things) and would expect the same behavior from virtual machines.

    The limitations of virt-clone are known and are being addressed in virt-sysprep... which hasn't made it to RHEL yet I don't think... but you can find out about it here:

    http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/new-tool-virt-sysprep/

    TYL,
    --
    Scott Dowdle
    704 Church Street

[...]

    I do this on VM clones. It depends on your OS but where I've had to do it
    is with Ubuntu VMs. I'm not sure where exactly they set that in CentOS but
    I'd start looking in /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules

    Grant McWilliams