Hello All,

I am having trouble simulating a network cable disconnect with KVM. I
would like to test active backup bonding for a switch IOS upgrade in a
production environment.

Basically I have the VM running on a bridged network which is also tied
into GNS3 simulating a small-scale version of the production
environment.

I have tried bringing down the vnetX interface and the actual virtual
network itself (virbrX) with no luck.

Has anyone had to do this before/maybe knows some tips?

If more info is required about my setup, I can give it.

Thanks!
Tait

Search Discussions

  • Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu at May 12, 2010 at 2:09 pm

    I am having trouble simulating a network cable disconnect with KVM. I
    would like to test active backup bonding for a switch IOS upgrade in a
    production environment.
    Couldn't you just do a "ifdown ethX" in the KVM itself? One of the
    bonded NICs will go down, and the kernel should report it as such.

    Regards,

    Ranbir
  • Tait Clarridge at May 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm

    I am having trouble simulating a network cable disconnect with KVM. I
    would like to test active backup bonding for a switch IOS upgrade in a
    production environment.
    Couldn't you just do a "ifdown ethX" in the KVM itself? One of the
    bonded NICs will go down, and the kernel should report it as such.

    Regards,

    Ranbir
    I did try that but it didn't fail over, actually I think I did "ifconfig
    ethX down" instead of ifdown ethX. I will try again when I get some
    time, thanks for the pointer! :)

    Tait