I'm unable to start a virtual machine with KVM.

I'm using Centos 5.4

I have installed all necessary rpms (to my knowledge), but as you can see
from the output (below), the system does not boot the CD-ROM. It just sits
there doing nothing:

# virt-install --prompt
Would you like to use KVM acceleration? (yes or no) yes
What is the name of your virtual machine? test
How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 1024
What would you like to use as the disk (file path)?
/var/lib/libvirt/images/test.img
How large would you like the disk (/var/lib/libvirt/images/test.img)
to be (in gigabytes)? 20
What is the install CD-ROM/ISO or URL? /root/CentOS-5.4-i386-bin-1of6.iso

Starting install...
Creating storage file... |
20 GB 00:00
Creating domain... |
0 B 00:00
Connected to domain test
Escape character is ^]
?

the '?' character appears after a few seconds, then nothing...

Any help is appreciated!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Gibbe gabba at Apr 26, 2010 at 1:02 pm
[...]

  • Compdoc at Apr 26, 2010 at 2:53 pm
    Just curious as to what hardware you're running it on. And
    when you say you've installed the necessary rpms, does this
    mean you installed KVM by hand after the install, or through
    the installer when you first installed it?

    <https://www.centos.org/uploads/smil3dbd4d75edb5e.gif>

    Any help is appreciated!
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Gibbe gabba at Apr 28, 2010 at 7:05 am
    The hardware is DELL PowerEdge R210 Quad Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3430 @
    2.40GHz (/proc/cpuinfo).

    I installed KVM with .RPMs after installing the system with a base Centos
    5.4 installation (server).
    yum install kvm
    yum install virt-install

    the kvm and kvm_intel modules are loaded. Also HyperThreading is available
    (enabled in BIOS), so KVM isn't complaining about that.

    I've tried following Linux distros:

    - Centos 5.4
    - Fedora 12
    - Ubuntu 10
    - Sipcat 1.3

    All of them have the same problem. I tried both installing from a CD ISO and
    from http repositories.

    Just curious as to what hardware you're running it on. And when you say
    you've installed the necessary rpms, does this mean you installed KVM by
    hand after the install, or through the installer when you first installed
    it?

    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Compdoc at Apr 28, 2010 at 6:06 pm
    I?m guessing the hardware has virtual abilities enabled in the bios

    This problem you have once happened to me, and from what I can remember it
    had something to do with storage. These days I use block devices, which is
    faster. If you?re using file-based, I guess you might want to check
    permissions for the directory you?re putting them in, as well as permissions
    for the .iso file you?re installing from.

    Also, make sure you are not running the zen kernel ? KVM requires the normal
    x86_64 kernel. Using the package manager to list my kvm components:

    etherboot-zroms-kvm.x86_64 5.4.4-10.el5.centos installed

    kmod-kvm.x86_64 83-105.el5_4.28
    installed

    kvm.x86_64 83-105.el5_4.28
    installed

    kvm-qemu-img.x86_64 83-105.el5_4.28 installed

    uname -a: Linux centos.domain.com 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 17
    11:30:06 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[...]

    the '?' character appears after a few seconds, then nothing... Error!
    Filename not specified.

    Any help is appreciated!

    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Gibbe gabba at Apr 29, 2010 at 8:46 am
    Yes, virtualization is enabled in the bios. (otherwise virt-install would
    exit with an error saying it's not enabled).

    I switched from Centos 5.4 i386 version to the x86-64 version. but still the
    same problem exists. I have those 4 rpm's install you mentioned.

    Can you tell me more about using block devices? I cannot see any options for
    that in virt-install.

    Thanks.