Doing a kickstart install of Fedora 12 results in a non-bootable image.
From a virt-maanger instance, the error produced when trying to run the domU is:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 498, in run_domain
vm.startup()
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 573, in startup
self.vm.create()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 287, in create
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: POST operation failed: xend_post: error from xen daemon: (xend.err "Error creating domain: Boot loader didn't return any data!")

If you drop to the command line to see what pygrub gets back, you get:

# pygrub /var/lib/xen/images/fedora12.img
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/pygrub", line 677, in ?
fs = fsimage.open(file, get_fs_offset(file))
IOError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported

The kickstart worked perfectly in Fedora 11 on a CentOS 5.4 dom0.

I've tried investigating all sorts of grub options and even tried copying kernel and initramfs files out from the domU to dom0 and booting from those with no luck. The only thing that does work is if I install Fedora 11 and then perform an upgrade to Fedora 12. I really don't want to have to deploy machines this way.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I can provide any further information requested. Basically, to repeat my error, install CentOS 5.4 with Virtualization, then try to install a Fedora 12 domU. The installation finishes without error but you can't boot. The systems are all x86_64.

Thanks.

Charles

Search Discussions

  • Scot P. Floess at Nov 23, 2009 at 8:54 pm
    Interesting... I tried something similar using KOAN/Cobbler and believe
    that is the error I saw as well...
    Doing a kickstart install of Fedora 12 results in a non-bootable image.
    From a virt-maanger instance, the error produced when trying to run the domU is:
[...]

    Scot P. Floess
    27 Lake Royale
    Louisburg, NC 27549

    252-478-8087 (Home)
    919-890-8117 (Work)

    Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate

    Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros
  • Andri Möll at Nov 23, 2009 at 8:56 pm
    This looks like your host doesn't support the filesystem your domU's
    using. I think Fedora's on ext4 by default. One solution is to use
    ext2/ext3 for the domU's boot media or partition.

    Andri

    Doing a kickstart install of Fedora 12 results in a non-bootable image.
    From a virt-maanger instance, the error produced when trying to run the domU is:
[...]

  • Charles J Gruener at Nov 23, 2009 at 8:59 pm
    I specifically call out to create an ext3 filesystem in the kickstart file for /boot. I did neglect to mention that in my original post.

    Charles
    This looks like your host doesn't support the filesystem your domU's
    using. I think Fedora's on ext4 by default. One solution is to use
    ext2/ext3 for the domU's boot media or partition.

    Andri
  • Andri Möll at Nov 23, 2009 at 9:43 pm
    If /boot is on another virtual drive, make sure it's the first one in
    the VM's 'disk' listing (/etc/xen/foo). I remember reading that Xen
    gives only the first disk to pygrub as an arg.
    /usr/bin/pygrub is a Python script. Probably printing the 'file' var to
    stderr before the line fsimage.open(file, get_fs_offset(file)) shows
    what it's trying to open.

    Andri

    I specifically call out to create an ext3 filesystem in the kickstart file for /boot. I did neglect to mention that in my original post.

    Charles
    This looks like your host doesn't support the filesystem your domU's
    using. I think Fedora's on ext4 by default. One solution is to use
    ext2/ext3 for the domU's boot media or partition.

    Andri

  • Pasi Kärkkäinen at Nov 24, 2009 at 5:06 pm

    I've only got the one virtual disk. /boot is on xvda1 with / and swap
    in LVs. The PV is xvda2.
    Double check the F12 /boot type. It needs to be ext3 for now.
    RHEL5 / CentOS5 doesn't have ext4 pygrub support yet.

    Xen packages on F12 host/dom0 do support ext4 pygrub though.

    -- Pasi
    Charles
    If /boot is on another virtual drive, make sure it's the first one in
    the VM's 'disk' listing (/etc/xen/foo). I remember reading that Xen
    gives only the first disk to pygrub as an arg.
    /usr/bin/pygrub is a Python script. Probably printing the 'file'
    var to
    stderr before the line fsimage.open(file, get_fs_offset(file)) shows
    what it's trying to open.

    Andri

    I specifically call out to create an ext3 filesystem in the
    kickstart file for /boot. I did neglect to mention that in my
    original post.

    Charles
    This looks like your host doesn't support the filesystem your domU's
    using. I think Fedora's on ext4 by default. One solution is to use
    ext2/ext3 for the domU's boot media or partition.

    Andri
  • Scot P. Floess at Nov 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm
    I have a silly question... I did some goggle'ing around and it appeared
    to me that Fedora 12 should work as a Xen guest (domU). Is this true? I
    know 10 and 11 I'd have to use KVM....
[...]

  • R P Herrold at Nov 24, 2009 at 6:48 pm