Greetings,

I?m new to xen virtualization on CentOS, but I have been unable to find the
answer to this problem I?m experiencing.

My setup: AMD quad core (64bit), 8Gb ram. CentOS 5.3 dom0, CentOS 5.3
domU?s (paravirtualized).

Dom0 is set up with two NIC?s, the built-in and a PCI card, and I set up xen
bridging on both interfaces.

My domU?s seem to boot up fine, run fine, and shutdown fine. However, if I
attempt a reboot operation, they go into a state where they continually
crash on startup. I have been unable to ascertain why this happens, and I
do not know how to fix it when it does happen. So, my question is twofold:

1) How do I get it out of the continual boot/crash cycle? Xm destroy
doesn?t work, none of the GUI tools work. So far the only answer has been
rebooting dom0, which is not a good answer L

2) Has anyone else seen this/solved this? Besides being able to
manually fix it from #1 above, it sure would be nice to have it able to
reboot as expected.

I haven?t worked with any fully virtualized guests yet, but I will try that
pretty soon and see if it evidences the same behavior.

Uname ?a ? Linux prathis.localdomain 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5xen #1 SMP Mon Aug 24
09:14:33 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Please let me know what additional information would be helpful or what I
can do to facilitate debugging this issue.

Thanks!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Robert E. Moser at Sep 1, 2009 at 9:08 am
    Hi Everyone,

    I installed a fully virtualized VM on my system noted below. To keep it
    simple I made it puppy linux. It runs as expected, including successful
    reboots. So
    it appears that reboots are broken on my system for
    paravirtualized systems. I seem to recall the test install of windows I did
    about a month ago seemed to work also as it was likewise fully virtualized.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Robert Moser