I have successfully installed several CentOS 5 VMs on a CentOS 5 Xen
DOM0 using a local repo and kickstart files with Virt Manager.

Using the same machine and setup, I have tried a scripted install
using same repos and kickstart file with virt-install. The only
difference I can see is that with virt-install I'm disabling the
display (no VNC).

The install goes well but the new VM won't finish booting, it keeps
stalling at various things. So far I have disabled smartd and
microcode_ctl in kickstart postinstall script, now it is stalling at
HAL.

Rather than keep disabling services and retrying, I think it's time to
ask here what I'm doing wrong ... why does basically the same VM
install work with Virt Manager but not with virt-install?

Thanks

Search Discussions

  • Maros Timko at May 28, 2009 at 6:06 pm
    I was experiencing stalling of CentOS5 VMs boot process on HAL daemon. But
    only when checking the output of the console from:
    xm console <DomU>
    Sshing to the DomU worked just fine. If you have sshd running, try to ssh to
    VM.

    Tino