Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows of any tools I can run on my Dom0 to log
various stats (like CPU usage, memory usage, etc) for each guest
domain for analysis over a period of time? I can see that xentop
displays that information anyway but would be nice to be able to
present that information on a web based interface for day to day
administration.

Also any tools that send out email notifications in case of a guest
running in critical condition like out of memory etc.

Thanks.

--
"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)

Search Discussions

  • Christopher G. Stach II at Jan 9, 2009 at 4:01 am

    Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
    Hi all,

    Wondering if anyone knows of any tools I can run on my Dom0 to log
    various stats (like CPU usage, memory usage, etc) for each guest
    domain for analysis over a period of time? I can see that xentop
    displays that information anyway but would be nice to be able to
    present that information on a web based interface for day to day
    administration.

    Also any tools that send out email notifications in case of a guest
    running in critical condition like out of memory etc.
    Zenoss, Nagios, etc.

    Also, if you care about performance and stability, don't run anything on
    dom0 that isn't directly related to keeping the domUs running (qemu,
    block device backends, xend, etc.)

    --
    Christopher G. Stach II
  • Kai Schaetzl at Jan 9, 2009 at 12:31 pm

    Wondering if anyone knows of any tools I can run on my Dom0 to log
    various stats (like CPU usage, memory usage, etc) for each guest
    domain for analysis over a period of time? I can see that xentop
    displays that information anyway but would be nice to be able to
    present that information on a web based interface for day to day
    administration.

    Also any tools that send out email notifications in case of a guest
    running in critical condition like out of memory etc.
    not really virt-related your questions ;-)
    munin for long-time monitoring and graphs. bigsister for critical limit
    monitoring and alerts.

    Kai

    --
    Kai Sch?tzl, Berlin, Germany
  • Luke S Crawford at Jan 9, 2009 at 8:58 pm

    "Devraj Mukherjee" <devraj at gmail.com> writes:
    Wondering if anyone knows of any tools I can run on my Dom0 to log
    various stats (like CPU usage, memory usage, etc) for each guest
    domain for analysis over a period of time? I can see that xentop
    displays that information anyway but would be nice to be able to
    present that information on a web based interface for day to day
    administration.
    I'm looking for the same thing. Looks like it's going to take some
    development work. I have found a interesting nagios plugin, see:

    http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID%11&view=File1;d=1

    Have you looked to see if there are snmp MIBs for what you need? I know
    that works pretty well for monitoring per-DomU disk and network stats,
    I don't know if it would work for per-domU CPU (without running SNMP on the
    DomUs themselves, which I'd like to avoid.)
  • Christopher G. Stach II at Jan 9, 2009 at 9:04 pm

    Maybe something like Xguests would be of interest to you: http://echoreply.us/tech/category/xen/

    --
    Christopher G. Stach II

groupcentos-virt @