FAQ
Hi list!

Now when Fedora 10 is out, I thought of writing here what's needed to
run Fedora 10 Xen domUs on CentOS 5 dom0.

Fedora 10 does not have separate kernel-xen, but instead Xen domU
support is included in the normal kernel-PAE.i686 and kernel.x86_64
(based on the pv_ops Xen support included in the mainline/vanilla Linux kernels).

RHEL 5.3 beta (and final obviously too) includes needed fixes to run Fedora
10 domUs. If you can't wait for CentOS 5.3 upgrade for your dom0, here is the list of
modifications you need to make for CentOS 5.2 dom0:

In CentOS 5.2 dom0 you should be able to run Fedora 10 domUs/guests if you
first upgrade two packages:

- libxc (needed for supporting bzImage kernels in F10) https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?idE7199
- python-virtinst (needed for F10 treeinfo parsing) https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?idF0585

Someone with access to RHEL 5.3 beta sources might want to put those
packages available somewhere online.. or even better; compile binary RPMs too :)

Packages:
python-virtinst-0.300.2-11.el5
xen-3.0.3-73.el5

I might take a look at it myself later when I have more extra time.. :)

-- Pasi

Search Discussions

  • Karanbir Singh at Nov 27, 2008 at 2:04 pm

    Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    Packages:
    python-virtinst-0.300.2-11.el5
    xen-3.0.3-73.el5

    I might take a look at it myself later when I have more extra time.. :)
    If you put the sources somewhere, I can churn them around.

    - KB
  • Pasi Kärkkäinen at Nov 27, 2008 at 7:19 pm

    On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 02:04:07PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
    Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    Packages:
    python-virtinst-0.300.2-11.el5
    xen-3.0.3-73.el5

    I might take a look at it myself later when I have more extra time.. :)
    If you put the sources somewhere, I can churn them around.
    http://pasik.reaktio.net/tmp/

    There you are!

    -- Pasi
  • Karanbir Singh at Dec 1, 2008 at 12:45 pm

    Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    http://pasik.reaktio.net/tmp/
    Will look at these today


    --
    Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/
    GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
  • Pasi Kärkkäinen at Dec 1, 2008 at 5:27 pm

    On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:46:17PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
    Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    Will look at these today
    Ok, nice:)

    -- Pasi
  • Pasi Kärkkäinen at Dec 4, 2008 at 10:04 am

    On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 07:27:57PM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:46:17PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
    Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    Will look at these today
    Ok, nice:)
    Did you have time to look at those? Just so I know if I should start playing
    with them myself :)

    -- Pasi
  • Pasi Kärkkäinen at Dec 13, 2008 at 8:12 pm

    On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:04:07PM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 07:27:57PM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:46:17PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
    Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
    Will look at these today
    Ok, nice:)
    Did you have time to look at those? Just so I know if I should start playing
    with them myself :)
    It seems Redhat guys have the packages available here:

    http://crobinso.fedorapeople.org/rhel5/install_f10/

    With those packages installed to RHEL 5.2 (or CentOS 5.2) you can
    install/use Fedora 10 guests/domUs.

    -- Pasi
  • Luke S Crawford at Dec 14, 2008 at 5:14 am

    Pasi K?rkk?inen <pasik at iki.fi> writes:

    It seems Redhat guys have the packages available here:

    http://crobinso.fedorapeople.org/rhel5/install_f10/

    With those packages installed to RHEL 5.2 (or CentOS 5.2) you can
    install/use Fedora 10 guests/domUs.

    Thanks! I installed those and started playing about... it looks like
    it works. One problem: the xenblk driver doesn't seem to be included
    in the f10 image when I try to run virt-install, so it can't see any
    drives to install on to.
  • Scott Dowdle at Nov 27, 2008 at 3:03 pm
    Pasi,

    ----- "Pasi K?rkk?inen" wrote:
    Now when Fedora 10 is out, I thought of writing here what's needed to
    run Fedora 10 Xen domUs on CentOS 5 dom0.
    Just wanted to mention that I built OpenVZ OS Templates for Fedora 10 i386/x86_64 default/minimal and posted them on the OpenVZ site in the contrib directory to coincide with the Fedora 10 release. They can be found here:

    http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/

    fedora-10-i386-default.tar.gz 23-Nov-2008 20:20 171M
    fedora-10-i386-minimal.tar.gz 23-Nov-2008 23:30 83M
    fedora-10-x86_64-default.tar.gz 23-Nov-2008 22:50 202M
    fedora-10-x86_64-minimal.tar.gz 23-Nov-2008 23:32 84M

    No special instructions needed... just create a container as usual.

    TYL,
    --
    Scott Dowdle
    704 Church Street
    Belgrade, MT 59714
    (406)388-0827 [home]
    (406)994-3931 [work]

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcentos-virt @
categoriescentos
postedNov 27, '08 at 10:47a
activeDec 14, '08 at 5:14a
posts9
users4
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase