With the release of 5 we have seen a tremendous increase in the use of the
dvd.iso , so that from bitorrent it is now downloaded 5 times more than
the cd isos.

That may be due in part to it being hard to find and more readily
available by Bt, but I think is also down to increased prevalance of
dvd-rom drives.

The main issue with having the dvd isos available from mirrors is that
Apache < 2.2 running on 32 bit architecture wont display files larger
than 2.0 GB , however CentOS 5 has Apache 2.2 with large file support so
that problem will now start to go away - alternative is also to use
lighttpd.

(CentOS now has its first server up running C5 and able to display
large dvd images under http :)

I have updated our isoredirect system to detect and verify dvd isos on
mirrors , and sources with current dvd isos are now listed separately on
the isoredirect page - what this is showing is that very few of our
mirrors have the dvd isos and we need to get more out there ...

To test :-

http://isoredirect.centos.org/mirrorscripts/chooseisolist.pl?release=5.0&arch=i386
It will give you local info based on your ip
you can also add &cc=xx to test other country codes

I know a lot of mirrors are wanting to download the dvd isos and we have
just configured two new servers with msync-incdvd.

However, we would still like mirrors to do their initial sync of the dvd
isos to one of our tier 1 mirrors that have them , and then we will add
their ip addres to our acl for syncing.

We also have no problem if mirrors want to sync to a local tier 1 mirror,
our system will still detect that they are up to date.

It is likely that in the near future we will restrict access to msync
rsync to current registered mirrors, and new mirrors will either have to
register first or do an initial sync from a registered mirror *hmm - we
have said this before - but now we have 160 mirrors we really will have to
do something ...)

There has been some confusion about the CentOS and CentOS-incdvd rsync
targets , and the fact that some mirrors have dvd isos included in the
CentOS target, so what we would like to do is to have a list of tier 1
mirrors that :-

1. provide rsync access to the complete CentOS release tree
2. would be prepared to act as a seed for new mirrors
3. would be prepared to set up separate CentOS and CentOS-incdvd targets
for other mirrors to sync against, either initial or recurring syncs (the
trees would be hardlinked, so extra space required is minimal).

We will then publish details for other and new mirrors of how they can
sync against these master sync servers.

If you would be prepared for your mirror to act as one, and have the
bandwidth and capacity for it then please respond.

Whilst writing I would like to thank all of our mirrors for the tremendous
support that you provide for CentOS and our users and especially during
the release of 5.0

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.

Search Discussions

  • Vaclav Dusek at Apr 15, 2007 at 11:33 am
    Site ftp.upce.cz

    I have "old" Apache (from CentOS 4.x) and DVD via HTTP is not avalaible,
    but via FTP is OK

    Lance Davis wrote:
    With the release of 5 we have seen a tremendous increase in the use of
    the dvd.iso , so that from bitorrent it is now downloaded 5 times more
    than the cd isos.

    --
    Vaclav Dusek
  • Kevin M Stange at Apr 15, 2007 at 8:08 pm

    Lance Davis wrote:
    With the release of 5 we have seen a tremendous increase in the use of
    the dvd.iso , so that from bitorrent it is now downloaded 5 times more
    than the cd isos.
    For a while there, we were the only mirror showing DVDs on the CentOS
    site. We had to throttle our bandwidth because we were pushing as much
    as 350 Mbps, mostly in DVD ISOs. Things have calmed down a bit from
    that high now.
    The main issue with having the dvd isos available from mirrors is that
    Apache < 2.2 running on 32 bit architecture wont display files larger
    than 2.0 GB , however CentOS 5 has Apache 2.2 with large file support so
    that problem will now start to go away - alternative is also to use
    lighttpd.
    Rebuilding the apr, apr-util, and httpd SRPMs from CentOS 5 or Fedora
    Devel will work for CentOS 4. Only catch, httpd includes an init script
    which requires a new version of initscripts. To work around it, you can
    install the src RPM, then grab your old /etc/init.d/httpd and replace
    /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/httpd.init. Then you can set the dependency to
    require 7.93 of initscripts instead in the specfile and build. That's
    what we're doing currently.

    Kevin

    --
    Kevin Stange
    Chief Technology Officer

    Phone: 312-602-2689 x203
    Fax: 312-602-2688
    Cell: 312-320-5867

  • Lance Davis at Apr 15, 2007 at 9:07 pm

    With the release of 5 we have seen a tremendous increase in the use of
    the dvd.iso , so that from bitorrent it is now downloaded 5 times more
    than the cd isos.
    For a while there, we were the only mirror showing DVDs on the CentOS
    site. We had to throttle our bandwidth because we were pushing as much
    as 350 Mbps, mostly in DVD ISOs. Things have calmed down a bit from
    that high now.
    Phew - thanks for that - I think there are now 4 US mirrors shown carrying
    dvd isos - and we are pushing to get more ...
    The main issue with having the dvd isos available from mirrors is that
    Apache < 2.2 running on 32 bit architecture wont display files larger
    than 2.0 GB , however CentOS 5 has Apache 2.2 with large file support so
    that problem will now start to go away - alternative is also to use
    lighttpd.
    Rebuilding the apr, apr-util, and httpd SRPMs from CentOS 5 or Fedora
    Devel will work for CentOS 4. Only catch, httpd includes an init script
    which requires a new version of initscripts. To work around it, you can
    install the src RPM, then grab your old /etc/init.d/httpd and replace
    /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/httpd.init. Then you can set the dependency to
    require 7.93 of initscripts instead in the specfile and build. That's
    what we're doing currently.
    aha

    Regards
    Lance

    Kevin

    --
    Kevin Stange
    Chief Technology Officer

    Phone: 312-602-2689 x203
    Fax: 312-602-2688
    Cell: 312-320-5867
    uklinux.net -
    The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.
  • Archive-Admin at Apr 15, 2007 at 10:15 pm
    on
    http://isoredirect.centos.org/mirrorscripts/chooseisolist.pl?release=5.0&arch=i386
    where not shown as having the dvdimages but we do(mirrorservice.org (GB) )
    available via ftp...

    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos-dvd/

    etc..

    Thanks.

    Phill.

[...]

    Archive Admin's at The UK Mirror Service
    http://www.mirrorservice.org/
  • Lance Davis at Apr 15, 2007 at 10:47 pm

    where not shown as having the dvdimages but we do(mirrorservice.org (GB) )
    available via ftp...

    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos-dvd/
    When our script checks the dvd it gets a 403 ...

    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso - bad dvd - 403 Forbidden

    Which is what I saw before, but when I just tested it I got taken to ftp

    Would you prefer I just checked ftp and linked to the isos dir there ??

    Regards
    Lance
    etc..

    Thanks.

    Phill.

[...]

  • Archive-Admin at Apr 15, 2007 at 11:18 pm

    where not shown as having the dvdimages but we do(mirrorservice.org (GB) )
    available via ftp...

    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos-dvd/
    When our script checks the dvd it gets a 403 ...

    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso - bad dvd - 403 Forbidden
    Hmm ok not what i get from home ,work or the machine in london,

    What ip do the checks come from, and do you have a special user agent set?

    are you checking with a head request?

    Thanks

    Phill.

[...]

  • Lance Davis at Apr 15, 2007 at 11:22 pm

    where not shown as having the dvdimages but we do(mirrorservice.org (GB) )
    available via ftp...

    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos-dvd/
    When our script checks the dvd it gets a 403 ...

    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso - bad dvd - 403 Forbidden
    Hmm ok not what i get from home ,work or the machine in london,

    What ip do the checks come from, and do you have a special user agent set?
    72.21.40.10

    probably LWP
    are you checking with a head request?
    yes

    But the same request works fine for the cd isos - this is the log :-

    Name - UK Mirror Service - Univ. Kent - using url
    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/
    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/sha1sum.txt
    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-3of6.iso - good
    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-2of6.iso - good
    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-1of6.iso - good
    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-6of6.iso - good
    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-5of6.iso - good
    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-DVD.iso - bad dvd - 403 Forbidden
    Check http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-bin-4of6.iso - good

    so whatever is happening seems dvd iso specific

    Regards
    Lance

    Thanks
    Phill.

[...]

  • Archive-Admin at Apr 15, 2007 at 11:58 pm

[...]

    Right I allow HEAD requests through but the GET redirects

    a suspect the head is failing as apache not 2g frendly yet, I have tweeked
    what does the checker report now.

    Might be an idea to set your own user agent allows people to easily filer
    in stats and suchlike.

    Thanks.

    Phill.

    --
    Archive Admin's at The UK Mirror Service
    http://www.mirrorservice.org/
  • Lance Davis at Apr 16, 2007 at 12:08 am

    Right I allow HEAD requests through but the GET redirects

    a suspect the head is failing as apache not 2g frendly yet, I have tweeked
    what does the checker report now.
    Well I got a good on the x86_64 dvd - and a fail on the i386 - but that
    may have been across the time you were tweaking ...

    The next run will be in about an hours time ...
    Might be an idea to set your own user agent allows people to easily filer
    in stats and suchlike.
    Can do ...

    Regards
    Lance

    --
    uklinux.net -
    The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.
  • Lance Davis at Apr 16, 2007 at 12:27 am

    Right I allow HEAD requests through but the GET redirects

    a suspect the head is failing as apache not 2g frendly yet, I have tweeked
    what does the checker report now.
    Ok - I set up a test script and the i386 dvd looks ok as well .
    Might be an idea to set your own user agent allows people to easily filer
    in stats and suchlike.
    Now should show 'CentOS makeisolist/9n '

    Cheers

    Lance

    --
    uklinux.net -
    The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.
  • Brian Elliott Finley at Apr 17, 2007 at 4:42 am
    We (http://mirror.anl.gov) would like to start mirroring the DVD ISOs
    for direct download, but I have failed to find instructions on how to
    include them when I sync.

    How do I include DVD ISOs on my mirror site?

    Thanks, -Brian

    Lance Davis wrote:
[...]

    Brian Elliott Finley
    Linux Strategist, CIS
    Desk: 630.252.4742
    Cell: 630.631.6621
  • Brian Elliott Finley at Apr 17, 2007 at 4:55 am
    To followup, I see that there is an active thread discussing the proper
    way to do this (and therefore know why I had a hard time finding it
    documented). So, I'll just sit tight and wait for a conclusion.

    Thanks, -Brian

    Lance Davis wrote:
[...]

  • Peter New at Apr 15, 2007 at 10:35 pm

    Lance Davis wrote:
[...]

    Evening All,

    My apologies if this is OT.

    We've been seeding the C5 dvd/cd isos for a couple of days now. After
    Lance sent his 11:35am email "Status of dvd iso for CentOS mirrors."
    mentioning torrent downloads, our bittorrent upload rates doubled ...
    coincidence or does Lance not know his effect on peoples behavior ... ;)

    http://www.maia-internet.co.uk/mrtg/maia3_internet-day.png

    Regards,
    Pete

    --

    Peter New // *MAIA Limited* // email: *pete@maia-internet.co.uk* // web:
    *www.maia-internet.co.uk* // mobile: *07968 377 327* // office: *01908

    MAIA Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company
    number 05593500.
    Registered Office: 26 Watling Street // Bletchley // Milton Keynes //
    MK2 2BL.

    This message is private and confidential. If you have received this
    message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system.
    MAIA Limited has taken steps to keep this e-mail and any attachments
    free from viruses. However it accepts no liability for any loss or
    damage howsoever caused as a result of any virus being passed on. It is
    the responsibility of the recipient to perform all necessary checks.
    The statements expressed in this e-mail are personal and do not
    necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the company.

    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Raymond Dijkxhoorn at Apr 15, 2007 at 10:41 pm
    Hi!

    Ok, my mirror is synced up also ...

    ftp://ftp.quicknet.nl/pub/Linux/www.centos.org/5.0

    Its having cent 5, i386 and x86 + DVD images...

    The machine is located inside the Netherlands and hooked up with dedicated
    gigabit onto the corenetwork there.

    Bye,
    Raymond.
  • Peter New at Apr 15, 2007 at 10:41 pm

    Evening All,

    My apologies if this is OT.

    We've been seeding the C5 dvd/cd isos for a couple of days now. After
    Lance sent his 11:35am email "Status of dvd iso for CentOS mirrors."
    mentioning torrent downloads, our bittorrent upload rates doubled ...
    coincidence or does Lance not know his effect on peoples behavior ... ;)

    http://www.maia-internet.co.uk/mrtg/maia3_internet-day.png

    Regards,
    Pete
    Apologies for leaving my sig on ... :S

    Regards,
    Pete
  • Olivier Thauvin at Apr 15, 2007 at 11:47 pm

    Le Sunday 15 April 2007, Lance Davis a ?crit?:

    (CentOS now has its first server up running C5 and able to display
    large dvd images under http :)

    I have updated our isoredirect system to detect and verify dvd isos on
    mirrors , and sources with current dvd isos are now listed separately on
    the isoredirect page - what this is showing is that very few of our
    mirrors have the dvd isos and we need to get more out there ...

    To test :-

    http://isoredirect.centos.org/mirrorscripts/chooseisolist.pl?release=5.0&ar
    ch=i386 It will give you local info based on your ip
    you can also add &cc=xx to test other country codes
    There is something unclear to me, you'll probably enlight me :)

    My server (distrib-coffee) can host and share via ftp/http/rsync DVD iso, it
    already does it for mandriva (and it is running a mandriva 2007 64bits).

    I can and I want to host and share CentOS DVD iso, however the page you gave
    don't show my server, so it seems I don't have DVD isos.

    What should I do exactly to have the whole tree ? I use currently
    eu-msync.centos.org::CentOS/ as source.

    Regards.