I'm testing centos 7 latest cloud image on an openstack infrastructure,
using three networks.
I've noticed a couple of things:
- cloud init is not setting hostname permanently on the instance. After
   reboot it is again named "localhost"
- the first run of cloud init did not get any ip on eth0 (eth1 and eth2
   configured fine). After rebooting eth0 was successfully configured. I
   suspect that Network Manager is interfering with cloud-init. I don't
   know if it's a requirement but seems to me that in cloud instances
   network is anyway configured with other means than Network Manager.
   Don't know it it's useful to ship it with the cloud image.

performing some other tests, hope to get more feedback.

thanks
Gabriele.

Search Discussions

  • Karanbir Singh at Aug 14, 2014 at 5:53 pm

    I'm testing centos 7 latest cloud image on an openstack infrastructure,
    using three networks.
    I've noticed a couple of things:
    - cloud init is not setting hostname permanently on the instance. After
    reboot it is again named "localhost"

    This should be fixed in the next build,

    - the first run of cloud init did not get any ip on eth0 (eth1 and eth2
    configured fine). After rebooting eth0 was successfully configured. I
    suspect that Network Manager is interfering with cloud-init. I don't
    know if it's a requirement but seems to me that in cloud instances
    network is anyway configured with other means than Network Manager.
    Don't know it it's useful to ship it with the cloud image.

    I dont think there is a clean clear way of removing NetworkManager, if
    we can completely remove it then we should. I will try again

    --
    Karanbir Singh
  • Neil Wilson at Aug 15, 2014 at 5:37 am
    - the first run of cloud init did not get any ip on eth0 (eth1 and eth2
    configured fine). After rebooting eth0 was successfully configured. I
    suspect that Network Manager is interfering with cloud-init. I don't
    know if it's a requirement but seems to me that in cloud instances
    network is anyway configured with other means than Network Manager.
    Don't know it it's useful to ship it with the cloud image.
    I dont think there is a clean clear way of removing NetworkManager, if
    we can completely remove it then we should. I will try again

    I removed it in the same way that Fedora did:

    https://github.com/brightbox/bootstaller/blob/master/auto/CentOS-7-x86_64-Brightbox-7.0_20140717.ks
  • Karanbir Singh at Aug 15, 2014 at 10:17 am

    - the first run of cloud init did not get any ip on eth0 (eth1 and eth2
    configured fine). After rebooting eth0 was successfully configured. I
    suspect that Network Manager is interfering with cloud-init. I don't
    know if it's a requirement but seems to me that in cloud instances
    network is anyway configured with other means than Network Manager.
    Don't know it it's useful to ship it with the cloud image.
    I dont think there is a clean clear way of removing NetworkManager, if
    we can completely remove it then we should. I will try again

    I removed it in the same way that Fedora did:

    https://github.com/brightbox/bootstaller/blob/master/auto/CentOS-7-x86_64-Brightbox-7.0_20140717.ks

    Dont think adding -NetworkManager* is enough in the packages section, I
    still have nm-cli in the instance post install with that.

    Also, do you really need the dhcp setup for eth0 ? can you even predict
    eth0 is going to be the default first network interface ?

    Finally, for the cloud-init, Can you try using the cloud-init from
    c7-extras on buildlogs/ for a couple of testing images ? lets see if we
    can adopt and stabalise that locally in centos extras/

    Finally, I think this ks is for CentOS-6... is it really working for you
    CentOS-7 as well ?

    --
    Karanbir Singh

groupcentos-devel @