Here's the back story:

Base RHEL 6 has Qpid 0.14, which is a very old release. Our team wants
to make a more recent version, 0.26, available for projects such as Open
Stack. They are adopting CentOS as a platform and would like to use
0.26, which includes AMQP 1.0 support.

We can't package 0.26 for EPEL6 due to 0.14 being in the base.

So it was suggested to me in IRC to come here and ask for guidance. We
would like to make our newer packages available for CentOS 6. What's the
right path to follow?

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

  • Fabian Arrotin at May 7, 2014 at 8:52 pm

    Base RHEL 6 has Qpid 0.14, which is a very old release. Our team wants
    to make a more recent version, 0.26, available for projects such as Open
    Stack. They are adopting CentOS as a platform and would like to use
    0.26, which includes AMQP 1.0 support.

    We can't package 0.26 for EPEL6 due to 0.14 being in the base.

    So it was suggested to me in IRC to come here and ask for guidance. We
    would like to make our newer packages available for CentOS 6. What's the
    right path to follow?

    SCL (softwarecollections.org) and/or COPR comes to mind ?

    --
    Fabian Arrotin
    gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab

    Base RHEL 6 has Qpid 0.14, which is a very old release. Our team wants
    to make a more recent version, 0.26, available for projects such as Open
    Stack. They are adopting CentOS as a platform and would like to use
    0.26, which includes AMQP 1.0 support.

    We can't package 0.26 for EPEL6 due to 0.14 being in the base.

    So it was suggested to me in IRC to come here and ask for guidance. We
    would like to make our newer packages available for CentOS 6. What's the
    right path to follow?
    Can it be packaged up as qpid026 ? The main issue you are going to run into
    with any of the solutions is how to deal with potential conflicts of a
    person having software which requires qpid014 and qpid026 required.

    --
    Stephen J Smoogen.