I know a number of people have been using the nx/freenx packages
available from the centos-extras repo. Now, EPEL recently started
distributing NX packages. When you run 'yum update' with epel enabled,
it will replace CentOS' nx as seen here:

http://pastebin.centos.org/8101/

Have any of you tried EPEL's version? If so, can you share your findings?

The open-source edition of NX (version 3.5.x) is virtually static
because there would not be updates from NoMachine. I don't know if
EPEL made any changes/additions to what CentOS offers.

Akemi

Search Discussions

  • Nux! at Mar 1, 2014 at 7:19 pm

    I know a number of people have been using the nx/freenx packages
    available from the centos-extras repo. Now, EPEL recently started
    distributing NX packages. When you run 'yum update' with epel enabled,
    it will replace CentOS' nx as seen here:

    http://pastebin.centos.org/8101/

    Have any of you tried EPEL's version? If so, can you share your
    findings?

    Hm, at some point I had nx obsoleted by opennx and no problems, though
    I haven't used it in a while.

    Nux!
    www.nux.ro
  • Scott Dowdle at Mar 1, 2014 at 7:24 pm
    Greetings,

    I know a number of people have been using the nx/freenx packages
    available from the centos-extras repo. Now, EPEL recently started
    distributing NX packages. When you run 'yum update' with epel
    enabled, it will replace CentOS' nx as seen here:

    http://pastebin.centos.org/8101/

    Have any of you tried EPEL's version? If so, can you share your
    findings?

    The open-source edition of NX (version 3.5.x) is virtually static
    because there would not be updates from NoMachine. I don't know if
    EPEL made any changes/additions to what CentOS offers.

    All of the nx stuff in EPEL, so far as I know, is in support of x2go. x2go basically picks up the ball where freenx/opennx left off. x2go.org It was a new feature in Fedora 20, then added to Fedora 19 and EPEL 6.

    TYL,
    --
    Scott Dowdle
    704 Church Street

    I know a number of people have been using the nx/freenx packages
    available from the centos-extras repo. Now, EPEL recently started
    distributing NX packages. When you run 'yum update' with epel
    enabled, it will replace CentOS' nx as seen here:

    http://pastebin.centos.org/8101/

    Have any of you tried EPEL's version? If so, can you share your
    findings?

    The open-source edition of NX (version 3.5.x) is virtually static
    because there would not be updates from NoMachine. I don't know if
    EPEL made any changes/additions to what CentOS offers.
    All of the nx stuff in EPEL, so far as I know, is in support of x2go. x2go basically picks up the ball where freenx/opennx left off. x2go.org It was a new feature in Fedora 20, then added to Fedora 19 and EPEL 6.

    TYL,
    +1

    I started using x2go a week ago and it is good. You can even use it
    instead of Teamviewer/VNC, Desktop sharing. I think there is some kind
    of proxy/redirection feature (Teamviewer-like connections behind the
    firewall) , but I am not sure, still learning about it.

    --
    Ljubomir Ljubojevic
    (Love is in the Air)

  • Les Mikesell at Mar 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm

[...]

    Yes, I've been using both x2go and freenx/NX for a while. The new nx
    libs don't break freenx. You can't intermix the client/servers but
    both freenx and x2o can coexist concurrently with sessions with their
    respective clients. On OSX mountain lion the NX3.x client doesn't
    work and I don't particularly like the NX4 version, so x2go seems
    nicer there, and the windows client lets you resize on the fly, which
    is nice too. There are some quirks like controlling the display
    number to avoid conflicts when connecting to multiple hosts that I'm
    still working out but mostly they seem at least equivalent and x2go is
    all open source, even the client side.

    --
        Les Mikesell
          lesmikesell at gmail.com