FAQ
ClearCenter and ClearFoundation are interested in starting a CentOS variant
called 'ClearCenter Marketplace for CentOS'. This will allow management of
various CentOS services, EPEL packages, and third party applications to be
easily managed and configured under CentOS.


We are also interested in being part of a SIG centered around 'Server
Management.' Please let us know the next steps. We'd like to get started
right away and we are willing to participate in the process of helping to
set up shop. Let us know how we can serve.


--
David Loper
President, ClearFoundation
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20140110/cc0a0939/attachment.html

Search Discussions

  • Karanbir Singh at Jan 11, 2014 at 12:21 am

    On 01/11/2014 12:06 AM, David Loper wrote:
    ClearCenter and ClearFoundation are interested in starting a CentOS
    variant called 'ClearCenter Marketplace for CentOS'. This will allow
    management of various CentOS services, EPEL packages, and third party
    applications to be easily managed and configured under CentOS.

    Can you elaborate on this a bit ?

    We are also interested in being part of a SIG centered around 'Server
    Management.' Please let us know the next steps. We'd like to get started
    right away and we are willing to participate in the process of helping
    to set up shop. Let us know how we can serve.

    If you had to map this to a technology, what might that be ?




    --
    Karanbir Singh
    +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
    GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
  • David Loper at Jan 11, 2014 at 1:05 am
    If I had to map it to a technology, I'd map it to all the MSC server apps
    in Microsoft Server Suite?but web based and with cloud services. Our
    product is appropriate for any home, office, or business as a comprehensive
    solution for IT or in an environment that needs to have turnkey solutions
    to specific IT needs not addressed by their current technology. Currently,
    we primarily replace Sonicwall, Cisco, and Microsoft SBS. We'd like to be
    able to do that as a CentOS variant as well. Especially for individuals
    migrating to Linux who need easy to use administration. We take a whole
    rack of IT junk and make it manageable under CentOS.


    ClearCenter Marketplace adds a web-based management interface to CentOS for
    the purpose of managing the Server, Network, Gateway, and Cloud for a home,
    small office, or business.


    Server based items under web-based control include:
    Directory Services via OpenLDAP for users and groups
    Windows Networking
    File Sharing services via HTTP, CIFS, FTP and others
    Printer Services via CUPS
    Photo Organizer
    Bittorrent
    MySQL
    Web Server (LAMP)
    SugarCRM, Wordpress, and other LAMP applications
    FileServer antivirus
    Mail Server
    Email Antispam and Antivirus
    Backup Server
    and much, much more


    Network based items under web-based control include:
    DHCP and DNS Server
    Incoming and Outgoing Firewall control
    Port Forwarding and 1:1 NAT
    RADIUS
    SSH Server
    VPN
    MultiWAN
    and much, much more


    Gateway-based items under web control include:
    Intrusion Detection and Prevention
    Proxy services
    WPAD control
    Web Content Filtration
    Gateway antivirus and antiphishing
    and much, much more


    Reports will exist in the web interface that allows for easy interpretation
    of data from the various services listed. In addition, privilege separation
    allows non-admins to view aspects of delegated control.


    Lastly, the Marketplace adds a platform to which 3rd party application
    providers using open and closed technologies can write a graphical
    management app for the installation and configuration of their app.


    For example, if Kaspersky wanted to be able to provide an alternative
    pattern file for antivirus than ClamAV (the default) they can have an app
    and sell their product in the marketplace. (think Apple Store/Google
    Play?but for servers)


    We have all the sources ready to go and ready to build. Just let us know
    what is required to get them building against CentOS




    On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

    On 01/11/2014 12:06 AM, David Loper wrote:
    ClearCenter and ClearFoundation are interested in starting a CentOS
    variant called 'ClearCenter Marketplace for CentOS'. This will allow
    management of various CentOS services, EPEL packages, and third party
    applications to be easily managed and configured under CentOS.
    Can you elaborate on this a bit ?
    We are also interested in being part of a SIG centered around 'Server
    Management.' Please let us know the next steps. We'd like to get started
    right away and we are willing to participate in the process of helping
    to set up shop. Let us know how we can serve.
    If you had to map this to a technology, what might that be ?


    --
    Karanbir Singh
    +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
    GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
    _______________________________________________
    CentOS-devel mailing list
    CentOS-devel at centos.org
    http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel





    --
    David Loper
    Vice President of Technology
    ClearCenter
    --
    clearcenter.com
    twitter.com/pr0f3550r
    linkedin.com/in/daveloper
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20140110/7dd1b46c/attachment.html
  • Peter Baldwin at Jan 11, 2014 at 4:17 am
    Hi CentOS Devel,

    We are also interested in being part of a SIG centered around 'Server
    Management.' Please let us know the next steps. We'd like to get started
    right away and we are willing to participate in the process of helping
    to set up shop. Let us know how we can serve.
    If you had to map this to a technology, what might that be ?

    Integration through a web-based administration tool. How's that for a
    nebulous answer :-) Here's a scenario that will help explain what we do.


    For privacy and compliance reasons, a not-for-profit needs to run a mail
    server in their own data center. Using a VM or bare metal, they fire up
    CentOS and install:


    - Postfix
    - Cyrus IMAP
    - SpamAssassin
    - ClamAV (from EPEL)
    - OpenSSL for user certificates


    They pull it all together with OpenLDAP for user and group management. Now
    all that needs to be done is configuring all those open source packages
    into a cohesive mail solution: /etc/postfix/main.cf, /etc/clamd.conf,
    /etc/imapd.conf, etc. When that's done, they breakout the OpenSSL
    documentation to figure out all the security certificate jargon --
    Certificate Authority, here we come.


    Many people on this list (including yours truly) love to get into these
    details, but many others prefer to get the ball rolling and dig in only
    when required. ClearOS pulls everything together with a web-based
    interface for configuration -- a picture is worth a thousand words
    (screenshot):


    http://www.clearcenter.com/images/clearos%20professional%20gateway%20id.png


    All of this runs on a "CentOS variant" today and most of it is open source (
    http://code.clearfoundation.com/). Yes, there are some paid apps available
    to pay the bills but the apps noted above, for example, are free and free.


    That's a basic overview of what we do. How does this help the CentOS /
    RHEL community and how does ClearOS fit in with the variants proposal?
    Some thoughts from a technical perspective:


    - RPM package maintenance (EPEL packaging?)
    - QA and test scripts
    - Documenting best practices
    - Growing the CentOS / RHEL ecosystem


    Cheers,
    Peter Baldwin
    ClearFoundation
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20140110/a5262af8/attachment.html
  • Karanbir Singh at Jan 11, 2014 at 12:20 pm
    hi

    On 01/11/2014 04:17 AM, Peter Baldwin wrote:
    That's a basic overview of what we do. How does this help the CentOS /
    RHEL community and how does ClearOS fit in with the variants proposal?
    Some thoughts from a technical perspective:

    Is the code in a git repo somewhere ? It seems like a couple of puppet
    manifests or chef / ansible ones, that implement a pre-setup
    assumption-based ( which can be a good place to start from ) config
    state on a machine.


    As the first person to bring up the QA word, I like you already.


    --
    Karanbir Singh
    +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
    GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
  • Peter Baldwin at Jan 13, 2014 at 3:50 pm
    Woah... this turned into a long e-mail.

    On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 7:20 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>
    On 01/11/2014 04:17 AM, Peter Baldwin wrote:
    That's a basic overview of what we do. How does this help the CentOS /
    RHEL community and how does ClearOS fit in with the variants proposal?
    Some thoughts from a technical perspective:
    It seems like a couple of puppet
    manifests or chef / ansible ones, that implement a pre-setup
    assumption-based ( which can be a good place to start from ) config
    state on a machine.

    Deep inside the ClearOS developer documents, there's a short walkthrough on
    how to "convert" a CentOS system to a ClearOS system. In essence, it's a
    walkthrough that shows what's needed to get a barebones ClearOS
    web-management tool running on top of a CentOS system. As stated in the
    doc, it's not recommended for a real world deployment and intended for
    tinkerers.


    http://www.clearfoundation.com/docs/developer/architecture/core_system/clearos-release


    Below is a summary for those who don't have the time/interest to break out
    a VM and perform a walkthrough:


    1) A sandboxed Apache/PHP engine is packaged to avoid interfering with the
    default OS Apache/PHP engine. Source RPMS required:


    - webconfig-httpd (upstream "httpd', but tweaked to run out of
    /usr/clearos/sandbox)
    - webconfig-php (upstream "php", ditto)




    2) A slightly modified CodeIgniter PHP framework is used by the
    web-management interface. Source RPM:


    - clearos-framework




    3) A set of barebones "app" packages are required - these are the PHP
    API/REST/web front-end RPMs. We can strip out the "must register" type of
    workflow for a CentOS variant of course, but those are implementation
    details. Source RPMs:


    - app-language
    - app-network
    - app-register
    - app-suva-core / suva-client (needed for registering)
    - app-clearcenter
    - app-registration
    - app-marketplace




    Not all the features listed on the on the following page would be available
    in a CentOS variant since some require EPEL or ClearOS-maintained packages
    (e.g. ClamAV, DansGuardian, Snort):


    http://www.clearcenter.com/marketplace/


    So something like "OpenVPN" would require the "app-openvpn" RPM in addition
    to the upstream openvpn package. Most, if not all, of the packages listed
    in the above URL listed as "free as in beer" are also "free as in speech".



    Is the code in a git repo somewhere ?

    We have 3 types of packages.


    1) Modified upstream and ClearOS-maintained packages


    CentOS development veterans will recognize this :-) It's a CVS repository
    used by plague build system:
    http://buildsys.clearfoundation.com/plague/success.psp . Source code:


    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.clearfoundation.com:/var/clearos/cvs/repositories/clearos
    co rpms


    Here's a list of upstream packages that we modify with reasons why we
    modify (warning: doc is not 100% up-to-speed):
    http://www.clearfoundation.com/docs/developer/packaging/clearos_6.x/start


    None of the upstream modifications would be required for a CentOS variant
    but some apps would not be available without the modifications.




    2) Internal code used a helpers for some ClearOS features


    We have a dozen-ish packages that we have developed to support some apps.
      Those are found on Github:
    https://github.com/clearos-packages


    For example, the "csplugin-routewatch" watches for route modifications from
    external packages (OpenVPN, IPsec, PPTP) and notifies the multi-WAN app
    when something changes.




    3) PHP API, REST, and web frontend


    The "meat and potatoes" -- these are the PHP API/REST/web RPMs. These will
    be migrated to Github in the next week or so (https://github.com/clearos),
    but can be found on svn.clearfoundation.com/clearos right now (web frontend
    @ http://code.clearfoundation.com/svn/).




    Cheers,
    Peter Baldwin
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20140113/3378fce0/attachment.html
  • David Loper at Jan 17, 2014 at 5:33 am
    Karanbir and team,


    Is this enough information for us to get started on the
    ClearCenter/ClearFoundation variant? What time of build tools will be
    available to the variant community? Will we be able to have access to the
    build system? Something like SuseStudio?




    On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Peter Baldwin wrote:

    Woah... this turned into a long e-mail.
    On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 7:20 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>
    On 01/11/2014 04:17 AM, Peter Baldwin wrote:
    That's a basic overview of what we do. How does this help the CentOS /
    RHEL community and how does ClearOS fit in with the variants proposal?
    Some thoughts from a technical perspective:
    It seems like a couple of puppet
    manifests or chef / ansible ones, that implement a pre-setup
    assumption-based ( which can be a good place to start from ) config
    state on a machine.
    Deep inside the ClearOS developer documents, there's a short walkthrough
    on how to "convert" a CentOS system to a ClearOS system. In essence, it's
    a walkthrough that shows what's needed to get a barebones ClearOS
    web-management tool running on top of a CentOS system. As stated in the
    doc, it's not recommended for a real world deployment and intended for
    tinkerers.


    http://www.clearfoundation.com/docs/developer/architecture/core_system/clearos-release

    Below is a summary for those who don't have the time/interest to break out
    a VM and perform a walkthrough:

    1) A sandboxed Apache/PHP engine is packaged to avoid interfering with the
    default OS Apache/PHP engine. Source RPMS required:

    - webconfig-httpd (upstream "httpd', but tweaked to run out of
    /usr/clearos/sandbox)
    - webconfig-php (upstream "php", ditto)


    2) A slightly modified CodeIgniter PHP framework is used by the
    web-management interface. Source RPM:

    - clearos-framework


    3) A set of barebones "app" packages are required - these are the PHP
    API/REST/web front-end RPMs. We can strip out the "must register" type of
    workflow for a CentOS variant of course, but those are implementation
    details. Source RPMs:

    - app-language
    - app-network
    - app-register
    - app-suva-core / suva-client (needed for registering)
    - app-clearcenter
    - app-registration
    - app-marketplace


    Not all the features listed on the on the following page would be
    available in a CentOS variant since some require EPEL or ClearOS-maintained
    packages (e.g. ClamAV, DansGuardian, Snort):

    http://www.clearcenter.com/marketplace/

    So something like "OpenVPN" would require the "app-openvpn" RPM in
    addition to the upstream openvpn package. Most, if not all, of the
    packages listed in the above URL listed as "free as in beer" are also "free
    as in speech".


    Is the code in a git repo somewhere ?
    We have 3 types of packages.

    1) Modified upstream and ClearOS-maintained packages

    CentOS development veterans will recognize this :-) It's a CVS repository
    used by plague build system:
    http://buildsys.clearfoundation.com/plague/success.psp . Source code:

    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.clearfoundation.com:/var/clearos/cvs/repositories/clearos
    co rpms

    Here's a list of upstream packages that we modify with reasons why we
    modify (warning: doc is not 100% up-to-speed):
    http://www.clearfoundation.com/docs/developer/packaging/clearos_6.x/start

    None of the upstream modifications would be required for a CentOS variant
    but some apps would not be available without the modifications.


    2) Internal code used a helpers for some ClearOS features

    We have a dozen-ish packages that we have developed to support some apps.
    Those are found on Github:
    https://github.com/clearos-packages

    For example, the "csplugin-routewatch" watches for route modifications
    from external packages (OpenVPN, IPsec, PPTP) and notifies the multi-WAN
    app when something changes.


    3) PHP API, REST, and web frontend

    The "meat and potatoes" -- these are the PHP API/REST/web RPMs. These
    will be migrated to Github in the next week or so (
    https://github.com/clearos), but can be found on
    svn.clearfoundation.com/clearos right now (web frontend @
    http://code.clearfoundation.com/svn/).


    Cheers,
    Peter Baldwin


    _______________________________________________
    CentOS-devel mailing list
    CentOS-devel at centos.org
    http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel



    --
    David Loper
    Vice President of Technology
    ClearCenter
    --
    clearcenter.com
    twitter.com/pr0f3550r
    linkedin.com/in/daveloper
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20140116/891a4d96/attachment.html
  • Peter Baldwin at Jan 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm
    Hi all,

    On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:33 AM, David Loper wrote:

    Karanbir and team,

    Is this enough information for us to get started on the
    ClearCenter/ClearFoundation variant? What time of build tools will be
    available to the variant community? Will we be able to have access to the
    build system? Something like SuseStudio?

    Easy now tiger ... one step at a time :-)


    I would recommend having an "OfficeHours" discussion if possible. The
    NethServer and SME Server teams should be involved. There are too many
    open questions that need to answered and a meeting is probably the best
    forum to get some clarity.


    Cheers,
    Peter Baldwin
    ClearOS Developer Guy
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20140117/86b6b61b/attachment.html
  • Filippo Carletti at Jan 17, 2014 at 4:37 pm

    I would recommend having an "OfficeHours" discussion if possible. The
    NethServer and SME Server teams should be involved. There are too many open
    questions that need to answered and a meeting is probably the best forum to
    get some clarity.

    I agree. We're in Italy, CET (GMT+1).


    Part of our agenda:
    software stacks (ie postfix+amavis+...)
    kernel features


    Packages we're building now:
    http://code.nethesis.it/


    NethServer


    --
    Ciao,
    Filippo
  • Filippo Carletti at Feb 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm

    On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Peter Baldwin wrote:


    I would recommend having an "OfficeHours" discussion if possible. The
    NethServer and SME Server teams should be involved.

    Peter, as I said last Jan 17, we are ready to discuss further.
    The basic idea is that NethServer and ClearOS could jointly maintain
    some packages for the community.
    Could you find some time for an office hour?




    --
    Ciao,
    Filippo
  • Peter Baldwin at Feb 7, 2014 at 6:28 pm
    Hello Filippo,


    On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Filippo Carletti wrote:

    Peter, as I said last Jan 17, we are ready to discuss further.
    The basic idea is that NethServer and ClearOS could jointly maintain
    some packages for the community.
    Could you find some time for an office hour?

    Certainly! The Toronto office is in North America Eastern Time (UTC-5) and
    the Salt Lake City office is in North America Mountain Time (UTC-7). Let's
    coordinate this off-list. I'll send an e-mail shortly.


    Cheers,
    Peter
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20140207/2a931dbc/attachment.html

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcentos-devel @
categoriescentos
postedJan 11, '14 at 12:06a
activeFeb 7, '14 at 6:28p
posts11
users4
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase