Hi all,

I have a new version of nx ( nx-3.5.0-1.el5.ay ) for CentOS-5 and -6
available for testing:

http://centos.toracat.org/misc/nx-freenx

You can find the release announcement for 3.5.0 here:

http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews43

More details on the CentOS version is here:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?idI01

While you are there, please also grab the current (testing) version of
freenx ( freenx-0.7.3-8.el5.ay ). It has a fix for SELinux (thanks to
Dan Walsh) as detailed here:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?idP52

Thanks in advance for testing these packages.

Akemi

Search Discussions

  • Karanbir Singh at Oct 25, 2011 at 5:37 am
    Hi,
    While you are there, please also grab the current (testing) version of
    freenx ( freenx-0.7.3-8.el5.ay ). It has a fix for SELinux (thanks to
    Dan Walsh) as detailed here:
    I did test these, works with selinux fix. It turned to out be a case of
    virt-install new VM on a remote machine; yum install nx and freenx on
    this remote machine; install the nx client from nomachine.com - setup it
    to use GNOME desktop, paste in the client.id_dsa.key and connect.

    I did haveto yum groupinstall Desktop and X Window System to get the
    remote GUI to come up. And then I had to install a bunch of fonts to
    make things look right ( http://www.karan.org/stuff/Screenshot-5.png was
    what I got without the fonts )

    - KB
  • Akemi Yagi at Oct 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm

    I did test these, works with selinux fix. It turned to out be a case of
    virt-install new VM on a remote machine; yum install nx and freenx on
    this remote machine; install the nx client from nomachine.com - setup it
    to use GNOME desktop, paste in the client.id_dsa.key and connect.

    I did haveto yum groupinstall Desktop and X Window System to get the
    remote GUI to come up. And then I had to install a bunch of fonts to
    make things look right ( http://www.karan.org/stuff/Screenshot-5.png was
    what I got without the fonts )
    Thanks for testing.

    I forgot to mention that the selinux fix was needed only for CentOS-6.
    CentOS-5 did not need any adjustment.

    What to include as 'Requires' can be tricky. NX needs a desktop for
    sure but it can be gnome or KDE or even something else. So far, it's
    up to the user to make sure X and a desktop are available when using
    NX.

    Akemi
  • Johnny Hughes at Oct 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm

[...]

    I concur with this ... obviously one has many options for an X desktop
    (gnome, KDE, XFCE, twm, etc.).

    Because there is no "package" or "group" that is a generic "GUI Window
    Manager" (although, there could be one added that each of the windows
    managers provide ... that would be an upstream decision), the only
    requires that NX should have, IMHO, is things that make it work with any
    Window Manager. It assumes that you have a working GUI and a working X
    and you want to share that desktop it. Otherwise we get people who want
    to use NX with XFCE or KDE that also need a bunch of gnome packages for
    the requirements (if we picked metacity as the WM).