hi guys,

About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get that
install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed quite
a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively intrusive.
The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy with
a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if anyone
would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make things
work off b.k.o

Regards,

- KB
--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

  • Itamar Reis Peixoto at Jul 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm

    About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
    CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get that
    install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed quite
    a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively intrusive.
    The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy with
    a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if anyone
    would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make things
    work off b.k.o

    Regards,

    - KB
    --
    Karanbir Singh
    ICQ: 2522219 ? ?| Yahoo IM: z00dax ? ? ?| Gtalk: z00dax
    I think I can do that.

    --
    ------------

    Itamar Reis Peixoto
    msn, google talk: itamar at ispbrasil.com.br
    +55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
    +55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
    +55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
    +55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)
  • Corey Quinn at Jul 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm

    About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
    CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get that
    install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed quite
    a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively intrusive.
    The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy with
    a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if anyone
    would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make things
    work off b.k.o
    I'll pick this up and run with it as well.

    -- Corey / KB1JWQ
  • James A. Peltier at Jul 28, 2011 at 11:26 pm

    About a year or so back, there was some effort put into getting a
    CentOS-5 image setup to work off boot.kernel.org and be able to get
    that
    install process working. That effort was abandoned since it needed
    quite
    a lot of work to be done, and was startig to become massively
    intrusive.
    The people involved with that effort, including me, are quite busy
    with
    a lot of stuff on the agenda at the moment and I was wondering if
    anyone
    would like to pickup CentOS-6 images and see whats needed to make
    things
    work off b.k.o
    I'll pick this up and run with it as well.

    -- Corey / KB1JWQ
    Booting ISO images is available in a git branch of iPXE which is a fork of gPXE for which b.k.o. is built around. I'm already using it to boot installation media for Windows and GNU/Linux from ISOs. Doing it from the LiveCDs is pretty damn simple.

    See http://git.ipxe.org/people/mcb30/ipxe.git/shortlog/refs/heads/httpsan

    --
    James A. Peltier
    IT Services - Research Computing Group
    E-Mail : jpeltier at sfu.ca
    Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
    http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
  • James A. Peltier at Jul 29, 2011 at 4:12 am
    Okay I've got some preliminary code that will do it, but I'd like a bit more detail as to how you plan on implementing it. Is there an intention to have a boot.centos.org server for which menu options that a user can choose from is selectable? i.e.

    Boot CentOS 5 x32 Install
    Boot CentOS 5 x64 Install
    Boot CentOS 5 x32 Live
    Boot CentOS 5 x64 Live

    Boot CentOS 6 x32 Install
    Boot CentOS 6 x64 Install
    Boot CentOS 5 x32 Live
    Boot CentOS 5 x64 Live

    and then these choose the ISO from a mirror closest to them or would you just like a CD image that just net boots the appropriate version? What is it that you would like?

    E-Mail : jpeltier at sfu.ca

    E-Mail : jpeltier at sfu.ca
    Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
    http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
  • Karanbir Singh at Aug 2, 2011 at 6:21 am