Hi.

Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
download / torrent seeding?

I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
sha1sum files.

Ljubomir

Search Discussions

  • Phil Schaffner at Jul 10, 2011 at 10:15 am

    Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
    download / torrent seeding?

    I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
    locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
    sha1sum files.
    Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
    official announcement.

    Phil
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Jul 10, 2011 at 11:21 am

    Phil Schaffner wrote:
    Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
    download / torrent seeding?

    I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
    locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
    sha1sum files.
    Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
    official announcement.

    Phil
    So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent
    client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At
    least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.

    Mirrors should not have been opened up.

    Ljubomir
  • Jeff Johnson at Jul 10, 2011 at 11:31 am

    Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
    download / torrent seeding?

    I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
    locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
    sha1sum files.
    Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
    official announcement.

    Phil
    So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent
    client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At
    least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.

    Mirrors should not have been opened up.
    The issue of early releasing hs been around since forever.

    The issue is mostly the logistics of moving images to mirrors.
    That takes time and patience.

    There *IS* a rather harsh MANDATORY solution possible:

    Deliberately remove the first 20K or so of all ISO's,
    rendering the ISO's useless.

    Go about preparing the release.

    When "released", re-add the first 20K of the ISO's,
    and add a suggestion that mirrors re-sync.

    At some point the noise from deliberately chosen damage (by removing
    the 1st 20K of images) is less than the confusion of having multiple
    copies of partially released/altered smeared out all over the WWW.

    hth

    73 de Jeff
  • Alexey Asemov (Alex/AT) at Jul 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

    Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com> Sun, 10 Jul 2011 19:31:31 +0400:

    At some point the noise from deliberately chosen damage (by removing
    the 1st 20K of images) is less than the confusion of having multiple
    copies of partially released/altered smeared out all over the WWW.
    Nice idea, though. It will cover "99% pre-download" case, and will prevent
    "users too eager to be too fast" from using ISOs in any way except
    pre-downloading.
  • Ljubomir Ljubojevic at Jul 10, 2011 at 11:34 am

    Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
    Phil Schaffner wrote:
    Can someone confirm that ISO's are in their final form and ready for
    download / torrent seeding?

    I saw announcement on @Centos tweeter account and I see previously
    locked mirror close to me is know open, but I do not see any md5sum or
    sha1sum files.
    Some last-minute issues are being worked. Please just wait for the
    official announcement.

    Phil
    So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent
    client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At
    least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.

    Mirrors should not have been opened up.
    It looks like KB is OK with torrents according to his tweets, and
    availability is only 0.9999%. I guess that could mean that changes will
    be incorporated into torrent and only parts of it will be re-downloaded.

    Ljubomir
  • Jeff Sheltren at Jul 10, 2011 at 11:48 am

    So should I stop the torrent? It looks like catastrophe. Only my torrent
    client has 200 leechers. And it shows ~1200 leechers all together. At
    least 55 people already downloaded it and are now seeding.

    Mirrors should not have been opened up.
    Mirrors were opened up intentionally. The release announcement is coming
    soon. I don't believe the ISO has changed at all from what's in the current
    torrent, so no problem there. There's no reason to stop the torrent -
    thanks for helping out!

    -Jeff