I see a bug filing, done merely by looking for certain words,
perhaps with find and grep on an exploded tree. This is
probably not helpful

The issue is NOT if a word form or file name containing the
word fragments 'hat' and 'red' is present. Rather it is if a
formal TRADEMARK (as opposed to mere identification) of ANY
other party, or non-free (i.e., copyrighted and not under a
GPL [former approach] or CC [present approach] or other freely
redistributable license) images are present

The mere 'use' of the word fragments when used as identifiers
is not a problem -- if that file is under the GPL, etc, it is
free for reuse without change; if it IS changed, or a
derivative work produced from teh sources that generate that
file, we need to be sensitive to maintaining the COPYING and
copyright trail, so a 'light touch' and thoughtful changes,
rather than simply running a 'sed' bulldozer through a
srouce tree is in order

Turning to the upstream sources, Red Hat initially isolated
this type of content to two packages:
redhat-artwork
and the install time 'images' file for anaconda

In recent upstream product, I also see;
redhat-logos

Over time, Fedora has acted to track down and get licenses
cleaned up and reviewed, and we benefit from that effort

We at CentOS may WANT to alter a given piece of branding art,
but please do not conflate what we must do with what is merely
a potential 'want'

-- Russ herrold

Search Discussions

  • Marcus Moeller at Nov 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm
    Hi all.
    Turning to the upstream sources, Red Hat initially isolated
    this type of content to two packages:
    ? ? redhat-artwork
    and the install time 'images' file for anaconda
    It does no longer seem to be available.
    In recent upstream product, I also see;
    ? ? ? redhat-logos
    This has recently been finished and I am going to take care of the few
    other icons that wolfy has found in some packages. Maybe we should
    also report these upstream as Red Hat also targets towards packaging
    them in redhat-logos.

    --
    Greets
    Marcus
    Turning to the upstream sources, Red Hat initially isolated
    this type of content to two packages:
    ? ? redhat-artwork
    and the install time 'images' file for anaconda
    It does no longer seem to be available.
    In recent upstream product, I also see;
    ? ? ? redhat-logos
    This has recently been finished and I am going to take care of the few
    other icons that wolfy has found in some packages. Maybe we should
    also report these upstream as Red Hat also targets towards packaging
    them in redhat-logos.

    --
    Greets
    Marcus
    James A. Peltier
    Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
    Phone : 778-782-6573
    Fax : 778-782-3045
    E-Mail : jpeltier at sfu.ca
    Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
    http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
    MSN : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com
  • Karanbir Singh at Nov 24, 2010 at 7:23 am