Hi all.

I noticed Russ's recent comments on the Web Infrastructure page and
wanted to take it to the public instead of using the wiki for
communication:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/WebEnvironment/Infrastructure?action=diff&rev2=2&rev1=1

There are a few challenges in a common infrastructure setup. We make
use of components that are not part of the 'official' CentOS
repositories atm. Most of them are web applications like Moin, phpBB,
Mailmann, etc. These have to be packed and made available, either in a
publicly accessible (preferred) or an internal repo. So maybe CentOS
Extras or even Contrib is a good place to hold these new packages.

Another advantage is the artwork and style setup. This could either be
included directly within the corresponding application packages or
packed separately.

As we are also replacing some configuration files of HTTP (e.g. error
messages) we may also have to re-pack this app. Having RPMs that
replace other RPMs configurations is not the preferred way, I guess.

Best Regards
Marcus

Search Discussions

  • Ralph Angenendt at Sep 30, 2009 at 8:20 am

    There are a few challenges in a common infrastructure setup. We make
    use of components that are not part of the 'official' CentOS
    repositories atm. Most of them are web applications like Moin, phpBB,
    Mailmann, etc.
    Just as a note: Mailman *is* available in the core repositories. The
    other two aren't, that is true.
    These have to be packed and made available, either in a
    publicly accessible (preferred) or an internal repo. So maybe CentOS
    Extras or even Contrib is a good place to hold these new packages. Yes.
    Another advantage is the artwork and style setup. This could either be
    included directly within the corresponding application packages or
    packed separately.
    Those need to be done as separate packages, so you don't need to
    update the application when you update styles/artwork and the other
    way around.
    As we are also replacing some configuration files of HTTP (e.g. error
    messages) we may also have to re-pack this app. Having RPMs that
    replace other RPMs configurations is not the preferred way, I guess.
    The error messages maybe should be played out via puppet. Config
    itself needs to go into puppet anyway.

    Cheers,

    Ralph
  • Karanbir Singh at Sep 30, 2009 at 9:48 am