FAQ
Hi all,

I need to setup a centos 5 x86_64 server to build custom rpms for
centos5, rhel5 and oel5.

My requeriments are:

- Build rpms only from src.rpm packages and .spec files.
- Restrict architectures: I only need to build these packages for i386
and x86_64 hosts.
- See logs when packages are builded.
- Easy to install and lightweight, if it is possible.

I have seen mock and koji. Mock it seems ver older but can I use to
accomplish these? And koji it seems very complex.

Any ideas?? Exists another build system??

Many thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Search Discussions

  • Christoph Maser at Jul 4, 2009 at 9:12 am

    Am Samstag, den 04.07.2009, 10:57 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
    Hi all,

    I need to setup a centos 5 x86_64 server to build custom rpms for
    centos5, rhel5 and oel5.

    My requeriments are:

    - Build rpms only from src.rpm packages and .spec files.
    - Restrict architectures: I only need to build these packages for i386
    and x86_64 hosts.
    - See logs when packages are builded.
    - Easy to install and lightweight, if it is possible.

    I have seen mock and koji. Mock it seems ver older but can I use to
    accomplish these? And koji it seems very complex.

    Any ideas?? Exists another build system??

    Many thanks.
    From your requirements koji might be a bit bloatish, have a look at
    plague http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Plague

    Chris


    financial.com AG

    Munich head office/Hauptsitz M?nchen: Maria-Probst-Str. 19 | 80939 M?nchen | Germany
    Frankfurt branch office/Niederlassung Frankfurt: Messeturm | Friedrich-Ebert-Anlage 49 | 60327 Frankfurt | Germany
    Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach
    Supervisory board/Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Dr. Ernst zur Linden (chairman/Vorsitzender)
    Register court/Handelsregister: Munich ? HRB 128 972 | Sales tax ID number/St.Nr.: DE205 370 553
  • Seth Vidal at Jul 4, 2009 at 11:30 am

    On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, carlopmart wrote:

    Hi all,

    I need to setup a centos 5 x86_64 server to build custom rpms for
    centos5, rhel5 and oel5.

    My requeriments are:

    - Build rpms only from src.rpm packages and .spec files.
    - Restrict architectures: I only need to build these packages for i386
    and x86_64 hosts.
    - See logs when packages are builded.
    - Easy to install and lightweight, if it is possible.

    I have seen mock and koji. Mock it seems ver older but can I use to
    accomplish these? And koji it seems very complex.

    Any ideas?? Exists another build system??
    mock is used by koji to do the actual builds. koji is the scheduling and
    organization around mock. If you're not doing thousands of builds a day
    and your builds are not being done by hundreds of people at a time, mock
    works just fine by itself.

    Don't use plague, it is no longer maintained, at all.

    -sv
  • Carlopmart at Jul 4, 2009 at 12:08 pm

    Seth Vidal wrote:
    On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, carlopmart wrote:

    Hi all,

    I need to setup a centos 5 x86_64 server to build custom rpms for
    centos5, rhel5 and oel5.

    My requeriments are:

    - Build rpms only from src.rpm packages and .spec files.
    - Restrict architectures: I only need to build these packages for i386
    and x86_64 hosts.
    - See logs when packages are builded.
    - Easy to install and lightweight, if it is possible.

    I have seen mock and koji. Mock it seems ver older but can I use to
    accomplish these? And koji it seems very complex.

    Any ideas?? Exists another build system??
    mock is used by koji to do the actual builds. koji is the scheduling and
    organization around mock. If you're not doing thousands of builds a day
    and your builds are not being done by hundreds of people at a time, mock
    works just fine by itself.

    Don't use plague, it is no longer maintained, at all.

    -sv
    >
    Afer some reading in fedoraproject and your suggestions, I decided to
    use mock. But one more question: can I use a pure x86_64 host to build
    packages for i386 and x86_64 architectures with mock ( I don't have any
    i386 package installed on this system)?? Somebody can show me some .cfg
    examples??

    Thanks.

    --
    CL Martinez
    carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com
  • Christoph Maser at Jul 4, 2009 at 12:21 pm

    Am Samstag, den 04.07.2009, 14:08 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
    Afer some reading in fedoraproject and your suggestions, I decided to
    use mock. But one more question: can I use a pure x86_64 host to build
    packages for i386 and x86_64 architectures with mock ( I don't have any
    i386 package installed on this system)?? Somebody can show me some .cfg
    examples??

    Thanks.
    Yes you can use a 64bit host to build both 32 and 64bit packages with
    mock. Mock itself comes with some configs already. So have a look at
    those first.

    Chris


    financial.com AG

    Munich head office/Hauptsitz M?nchen: Maria-Probst-Str. 19 | 80939 M?nchen | Germany
    Frankfurt branch office/Niederlassung Frankfurt: Messeturm | Friedrich-Ebert-Anlage 49 | 60327 Frankfurt | Germany
    Management board/Vorstand: Dr. Steffen Boehnert (CEO/Vorsitzender) | Dr. Alexis Eisenhofer | Dr. Yann Samson | Matthias Wiederwach
    Supervisory board/Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Dr. Ernst zur Linden (chairman/Vorsitzender)
    Register court/Handelsregister: Munich ? HRB 128 972 | Sales tax ID number/St.Nr.: DE205 370 553
  • John Summerfield at Jul 6, 2009 at 2:54 am

    Christoph Maser wrote:
    Am Samstag, den 04.07.2009, 14:08 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
    Afer some reading in fedoraproject and your suggestions, I decided to
    use mock. But one more question: can I use a pure x86_64 host to build
    packages for i386 and x86_64 architectures with mock ( I don't have any
    i386 package installed on this system)?? Somebody can show me some .cfg
    examples??

    Thanks.
    Yes you can use a 64bit host to build both 32 and 64bit packages with
    mock. Mock itself comes with some configs already. So have a look at
    those first.
    I would expect to need relevant .386 packages installed though, to have
    the right headers to compile with and libraries to link with.

    If that isn't acceptable, a virtual 386 guest will work fine.


    --

    Cheers
    John

    -- spambait
    1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
    -- Advice
    http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    You cannot reply off-list:-)
  • Seth Vidal at Jul 6, 2009 at 3:05 am

    On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, John Summerfield wrote:

    Christoph Maser wrote:
    Am Samstag, den 04.07.2009, 14:08 +0200 schrieb carlopmart:
    Afer some reading in fedoraproject and your suggestions, I decided to
    use mock. But one more question: can I use a pure x86_64 host to build
    packages for i386 and x86_64 architectures with mock ( I don't have any
    i386 package installed on this system)?? Somebody can show me some .cfg
    examples??

    Thanks.
    Yes you can use a 64bit host to build both 32 and 64bit packages with
    mock. Mock itself comes with some configs already. So have a look at
    those first.
    I would expect to need relevant .386 packages installed though, to have
    the right headers to compile with and libraries to link with.

    If that isn't acceptable, a virtual 386 guest will work fine.
    mock builds inside a chroot it creates. So you don't need the relevant
    files installed on the host to build inside the chroot.

    -sv

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcentos-devel @
categoriescentos
postedJul 4, '09 at 8:57a
activeJul 6, '09 at 3:05a
posts7
users4
websitecentos.org
irc#centos

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase