Hello contributors and OSS friends,

(Who am I?)
My name is Sascha Thomas Spreitzer and I live in the eastern outback
of Munich in Bavaria Germany.
I am 23 years old and started with C and GNU Linux in the early age of 13.

(What am I doing?)
Most time I spend in the office fixing Unix dependant problems. Since
now at Germanys biggest stock broker "Baader Bank".
In future (starting first of April) ill design and realize AIX and
z/Linux environments for the government insurance sector.
If I'm not in the office, I go out with my girlfriend Lisa and we
enjoy the little time we have together.
I used to do traditional Shotokan Karate in JKA style. But stopped it
a year ago, because I had no time left to do it.
In holidays I try to gain progress with my software development skills.

(Why centos and what I'm up to?)
I had a chance to get a look at IBM's z/Series in the past and it
arouse my interest. Some years passed and now I have to face z/Linux
in my new position.
From the skills I gained in the past and the skills i'll gain in
future, I want to contribute back to the community.

Since a decade I'm using OSS and I deeply esteem the freedom.
It's time for me to contribute.

PS.:
you can can IM me via IRC or Jabber:
irc.freenode.net: sspreitzer
Jabber: icefox at im.relinked.org

--
Mit freundlichen Gr??en, / with kind regards,
Sascha Thomas Spreitzer

Search Discussions

  • John Summerfield at Mar 18, 2009 at 12:44 am

    Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
[...]

    From the skills I gained in the past and the skills i'll gain in
    future, I want to contribute back to the community.
    Since you mention IBM's mainframes, I assume you want to work in that
    sort of environment.

    CentOS4 is available for zSeries, CentOS5 is not. If you want to try
    porting CentOS5 to zSeries, there have been at least two others. If you
    search the CentOS list's archives you should be able to find them and
    see where they're up to.

    If you want your own personal mainframe, but without the expense,
    download Hercules. It's capable of emulating IBM System/360 computers
    and their descendants right up to the zSeries. Hercules hosted on a good
    multi-core PC running CentOS or Fedora should do a pretty good job of
    running it.

    I used to work with these:
    http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3168.html
    One of the cute features of the "New optional 3068 Multisystem
    Communication Unit to link two of the new Model 168s for a tightly
    coupled multiprocessing system of up to 16 megabytes of processor
    storage." was the ability to decouple the two CPUs and turn one computer
    into two, without restarting the operating system.

    They used to run OS/VS2 MVS: MVS running in Hercules on a Pentium II is
    probably faster!

    --

    Cheers
    John

    -- spambait
    1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
    -- Advice
    http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    You cannot reply off-list:-)
  • Sascha Thomas Spreitzer at Mar 23, 2009 at 8:46 pm
    Hello John,

    i managed to get centos 4 running on herkules -> http://z.relinked.org/
    I used to work some weeks with z9 machines, but not from the linux perpective.
    In april I will start in a new position where I have access to z9 and
    z10 machines as well being part of the z/Linux team.
    I hope I can bring in the skills I learn from z/Linux.

    In the background I used to work several years as a RedHat EL engineer
    and IBM AIX administrator.

    Lets get things started. ;)

    regards,
    Sascha

[...]

    From the skills I gained in the past and the skills i'll gain in

    1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu ?Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
    -- Advice
    http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    You cannot reply off-list:-)

    Mit freundlichen Gr??en, / with kind regards,
    Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
    http://spreitzer.name/
  • Karanbir Singh at Mar 19, 2009 at 9:55 am

    Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
    My name is Sascha Thomas Spreitzer and I live in the eastern outback
    of Munich in Bavaria Germany.
    Thanks for dropping in and showing interest. There is a s390 build
    initiative in progress at this time, and I am sure we can use a few more
    eyes on that side of things. Over the next few days, I'll try and
    establish a more focused group.

    --
    Karanbir Singh {kbsingh at karan.org}
    http://www.karan.org/ ICQ: 2522219 Yahoo IM: z00dax

    maybe we can name some members for the new group or subproject, and
    start settle goals and distribute work.

    :)

    Build-env? build-scripts?

    regards,
    Sascha

    My name is Sascha Thomas Spreitzer and I live in the eastern outback
    of Munich in Bavaria Germany.
    Thanks for dropping in and showing interest. There is a s390 build
    initiative in progress at this time, and I am sure we can use a few more
    eyes on that side of things. Over the next few days, I'll try and
    establish a more focused group.

    --
    Karanbir Singh ?{kbsingh at karan.org}
    http://www.karan.org/ ICQ: 2522219 Yahoo IM: z00dax

    Mit freundlichen Gr??en, / with kind regards,
    Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
    http://spreitzer.name/
  • Karanbir Singh at Mar 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm

    Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
    Hello Karan,

    maybe we can name some members for the new group or subproject, and
    start settle goals and distribute work.

    :)

    Build-env? build-scripts?
    do you have real iron access ? can parts of that be opened upto other
    people ?

  • Sascha Thomas Spreitzer at Mar 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm
    Hello Karan,

    not yet, starting at first of april. I hope to spare a vm to the
    community then. ;)

    feel regarded,
    Sascha ;)

    Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ ?: 2522219 at icq

    Mit freundlichen Gr??en, / with kind regards,
    Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
    http://spreitzer.name/

groupcentos-devel @
categoriescentos