I am currently building a Live CD for CentOS 5. I am using the
livecd-creator script from the livecd-tools project [1].

Here is my setup:
- A workstation with CentOS 5 i386
- dosfstools 2.11-8 [2]
- livecd-tools 009-11 [2]
- pykickstart 1.0-1 [2]

To create a live CD, you need a kickstart configuration file[3].

You also need to increase the maximum number of open files:
# ulimit -n 65535

Then, you can start the creation process (~30 minutes):
# livecd-creator --config=centos-livecd-desktop.ks

The resulting iso image (644MB) can be transfered to an USB
key...
# livecd-iso-to-disk <isopath> <usbstick device>

... or simply burned to a CD or DVD.

The live CD has a writable /usr directory. However, it can
not be used to install CentOS 5 on your system. A new
anaconda package will be required to achieve this functionality.

[1] http://git.fedoraproject.org/?p=hosted/livecd
[2] These packages are available at
http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca/propos/linux/centos-live/i386/live
[3]
http://www.nanotechnologies.qc.ca/propos/linux/centos-live/i386/live/centos-livecd-desktop.ks

--
Patrice Guay

Search Discussions

  • Johnny Hughes at Jul 29, 2007 at 8:30 am

    Patrice Guay wrote:
[...]

    Patrice,

    Thanks. I was working on this too ... but since you have finished this
    part, I will concentrate on anaconda to try and get this installable.

    Thank you for your hard work on the Live CD.

    Johnny Hughes