Grokbase Groups Cayenne user May 2013

is it possible to use wildcards in prefetch paths?

e.g. query.addPrefetch("paintings.gallery");

regards
Meex

Search Discussions

  • Michael Gentry at May 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm
    Hi Markus,

    I don't see a wildcard there, but I don't think you can use wildcards on
    prefetches. I think you have to specify each one.

    mrg

    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Markus Reich

    is it possible to use wildcards in prefetch paths?

    e.g. query.addPrefetch("paintings.gallery");

    regards
    Meex
  • Markus Reich at May 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    oops, sorry, it should be like this

    --
    *Markus Reich*
    Moosbach 28/2

    (Thinking whether it might be a good idea to add that in the future … )
    I don't see a wildcard there, but I don't think you can use wildcards on
    prefetches. I think you have to specify each one.

    mrg

    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Markus Reich

    is it possible to use wildcards in prefetch paths?

    e.g. query.addPrefetch("paintings.gallery");

    regards
    Meex

    --
    *Markus Reich*
    Moosbach 28/2
    6392 St. Jakob i.H.
    www.markusreich.at / www.meeximum.at
    markus.reich@markusreich.at
  • Michael Gentry at May 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm
    Personally, it seems like a bad idea to me. If you add a relationship or
    two and it automatically started prefetching them all due to wildcards, I
    could see performance tanking quickly. I'd rather explicitly state
    prefetches when I know I want the data more immediately.

    mrg

    Yeah, Mike is right. No way to use a wildcard. All paths should be
    explicit.

    (Thinking whether it might be a good idea to add that in the future … )
    I don't see a wildcard there, but I don't think you can use wildcards on
    prefetches. I think you have to specify each one.

    mrg

    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Markus Reich

    is it possible to use wildcards in prefetch paths?

    e.g. query.addPrefetch("paintings.gallery");

    regards
    Meex

    --
    *Markus Reich*
    Moosbach 28/2
    6392 St. Jakob i.H.
    www.markusreich.at / www.meeximum.at
    markus.reich@markusreich.at
  • Daniel Abrams at May 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm
    We do something similar to this. Here is a snippet that will prefetch all
    the relationships on a given entity. If you want to do this via compound
    keypaths, you would need to parse the keys and do this recursively, but
    that might be a little dangerous in terms of fetching lots of data.

             DataContext dataContext = (DataContext) object.getObjectContext();
             ObjEntity objEntity =
    dataContext.getEntityResolver().lookupObjEntity(object.getClass());

             for (Relationship relationship : objEntity.getRelationships())
             {
    query.addPrefetch(relationship.getName());
             }

    Yeah, Mike is right. No way to use a wildcard. All paths should be
    explicit.

    (Thinking whether it might be a good idea to add that in the future … )
    I don't see a wildcard there, but I don't think you can use wildcards on
    prefetches. I think you have to specify each one.

    mrg

    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Markus Reich

    is it possible to use wildcards in prefetch paths?

    e.g. query.addPrefetch("paintings.gallery");

    regards
    Meex

    --
    *Markus Reich*
    Moosbach 28/2
    6392 St. Jakob i.H.
    www.markusreich.at / www.meeximum.at
    markus.reich@markusreich.at
  • Markus Reich at May 15, 2013 at 6:27 pm
    thank you for this great snippet :-)

    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org

    On May 15, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Markus Reich <markus.reich@markusreich.at>
    I don't see a wildcard there, but I don't think you can use wildcards
    on
    prefetches. I think you have to specify each one.

    mrg

    On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Markus Reich

    is it possible to use wildcards in prefetch paths?

    e.g. query.addPrefetch("paintings.gallery");

    regards
    Meex

    --
    *Markus Reich*